By: Jen Russon
Buddhist monk Gen Kelsang Norbu is usually found sitting in a lotus pose at his Lauderdale-by-the-Sea meditation center, but this spring, he will bring his teachings to Yoga Source in Coral Springs.
Known for its guided meditations and workshops featuring a vegetarian buffet, the Kadampa Meditation Center is an essential part of the Eastern philosophy scene in the Fort Lauderdale area.
The five-part series in Coral Springs is titled “Introduction to Buddhist Meditation: The Four Noble Truths” will be held Monday nights at 7:30 p.m.
“These truths not only show us the big picture of our suffering and where it comes from but teach us to solve problems using our minds, so that we may gain more inner peace and freedom until it eventually becomes our permanent state,” said Norbu.
He added people of all ages are welcome, and that learning the four noble truths is an essential topic in Buddhist Meditation. Learning them helps let go of distractions, negativity, and external influences that are often at the root of human suffering.
Norbu said his classes are designed to help diagnose the underlying causes of mental pain and dissatisfaction, then take a solution-oriented approach to let go of the mental habits that keep people stuck.
Classes are one hour and 15 minutes long and cost $10 per person. Register online or pay at the door for the following sessions:
March 2 – Introduction: Desire quantity
March 9 – What’s Wrong with Uncontrolled Desire?
March 16 – The Inner Source of Unhappiness: Origins
March 23 – Inner Peace is Possible: Cessations
March 30 – Discipline, Meditation, and Wisdom: The Path
Yoga Source is located at 7422 Wiles Road.
- Jen Russon has been a staff writer for Talk Media since 2018. She is also a novelist, copywriter and editor at Swallow Publishing, LLC.
- Events2021.06.21Senior Activist Recognized by the City at 100th Birthday Party
- Events2021.06.09Next Stop Broadway Has Session 2 Summer Slots Still Available
- Events2021.06.03Coral Springs Museum of Art Debuts Mix and Mingle ‘Happy Hour’ Nights
- News2021.06.01Coral Springs Center of the Arts Director’s Son Battles Rare Form of Liver Cancer