By: David Russell
Local BBQ legend Captain Ron Dimplflmaier has ignited the grill scene on fire again, taking home third place with his team at the annual Visit Lauderdale Food and Wine Festival BBQ Brawl.
Attracting hundreds of visitors across the country, this festival is huge, drawing in some of the country’s top gourmet chefs and celebrity judges, such as Mike Mayo, from the Sun-Sentinel, Jess Pryles on Hulu, and Jason Smith from Food Network.
Originally from Long Island, NY, Ron Dimpflmaier, 52, moved to the Shadow Wood community in Coral Springs in 1991, seeking warmer pastures. As a lifelong foodie, Ron’s interest in becoming a barbeque professional grew, and over the last six years, his grill skills and social media following have exploded.
Last year, Dimplflmaier participated in the event as a judge, but this year was called into the ring as a competitor blowing away the competition with an innovative Smoked Salmon with Tomato Bruschetta dish.
For a man to be a self-proclaimed “backyard barbeque guy posting pictures,” his stock is rising, boasting over 36k followers on Instagram — almost doubling since last year. He is also now the official Fogo Charcoal Grill spokesperson.
“I still have to pinch myself from time to time to make sure I’m not dreaming. I am very grateful and wanted to specifically thank Flora Fine Foods for their generous donation of ingredients for this last competition and Get Maine Lobster for their financial support,” said Dimplflmaier.
Later this year, he will be headlining “Egg Fest” in Sarasota, Florida, cooking New York strips all day, then showing off a demo for Caveman Thomak Steaks cooked straight on the charcoal.
- A Coral Springs native, Florida State University graduate, and eternal optimist, David strives to find the local hidden gems in South Florida. He has a strong interest in technology, finance, and comedy.
- Eat2023.01.29Nutrition Smart Goes Kosher: A Healthy Transformation with a Side of Savings
- Eat2023.01.19Local BBQ Master ‘Captain Ron’ Wins Third in Annual Visit Lauderdale Food and Wine Festival
- Events2022.12.12Does Your Yard Have What it Takes to Win a 2023 NatureScape Emerald Award?
- Eat2022.12.08Now Open: Vicky Bakery Welcomes Customers to Coral Springs Location