By: Sharon Aron Baron
The driver appeared to show no remorse, nor any explanation after her vehicle jumped a curb and hit a pedestrian, leaving him with serious injuries.
At 10:45 a.m. Sunday morning, Coral Springs Police were called to the 9600 block of Riverside Drive. A preliminary investigation revealed that Juan Valle Benites, 66, of Coral Springs was walking northbound on the east-side sidewalk in the 3600 block of Riverside Drive pushing a small wheeled cart, when he was suddenly struck from behind by a 2007 Honda Accord, driven by Natalie Watson, 41, of Coral Springs.
The vehicle had been traveling northbound on Riverside Drive, when it suddenly jumped the curb on the east side of the road and began driving north on the sidewalk. Only a few feet later, the driver of the Accord struck Benites at a high rate of speed. His body partially entered her vehicle through the front windshield and was then thrown to the ground.
Watson remained in her vehicle, never checking on, or offering aid to Benites, who suffered serious injuries. She was uninjured in the crash, and was described as appearing “nonchalant,” could offer no explanation for how the crash occurred, only stating that “he appeared out of nowhere.” She stated she did not know how she ended up on the sidewalk.
Benites was transported from the scene to Broward Health North.
Any witnesses or persons with information about the crash to contact Traffic Homicide Investigator Chris Swinson at 954-346-1749.
- Sharon Aron Baron is the Editor of Talk Media and writer for Coral Springs Talk. CST was created in 2012 to provide News, Views, and Entertainment for the residents of Coral Springs and the rest of South Florida.
- News2020.01.15Mayors’ Chess Challenge Heads Back to Coral Springs January 18
- News2020.01.144th Annual ‘Yoga For Life’ in Coral Springs Supports Local Nonprofits
- News2020.01.12Crime Update from Coral Springs Police: Latest Incidents Through January 7
- News2020.01.12Coral Springs’ Zeta Phi Beta Chapter Accepting Nominations for ‘Community Leader of the Year’ Awards