By: Matt Rothman
The Marjory Stoneman Douglas Cheerleading Team advanced to States following their win in Regionals on Friday night.
The Eagles competed in the Small-Tumbling Division and won, but missed advancing straight to the finals by one point after scoring a 69.
While Head Coach Patti Thompson wishes they could go directly to the State finals, she is proud of the way her team competed on Friday night.
“Advancing to states was our goal, and we are extremely pleased we were able to accomplish it this season,” said Thompson.
She previously coached at the school for 14 years, and her team made States every season before she retired the first time. In 2016, it was the only year they did not advance, but Thompson came back two years ago, and they have advanced every year since.
MSD Cheerleading, made up of girls from both Parkland and Coral Springs, will compete for both the State Semifinals and Finals on Friday, January 31, at the University of Florida.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism. Originally from Long Island, he moved to Parkland shortly after high school. Matt worked as the assistant sports editor for his school paper, eaglenews.com in college becoming just one of nine students in his graduating class to serve over 1,000 community service hours. His goal is to travel to every Major League Baseball stadium and has been to multiple US Open finals. He hopes to one day to be a beat writer for a professional team.
- Schools2020.02.26J.P Taravella Basketball Makes History Playing in First Regional Semifinals Game
- News2020.02.25Coral Springs High School Baseball Throw No-Hitter in Win over Hollywood Hills
- News2020.02.25Coral Glades Boy’s Volleyball Begin Season with Win
- News2020.02.25Coral Glades Boy’s Tennis Win Second Match of the Season