By Matt Rothman
The Eagles played only two games last season before having a pair of matchups canceled due to COVID-19. MSD won their opening game for the sixth straight season and under Head Coach Quentin Short for the third time.
“It was a great way to start the season and get a shutout, but we have a lot of things to clean up,” said Coach Short.
Ryan Spallina, who took over at quarterback after Matt O’Dowd graduated this spring, played well early. He connected with Christian Spencer for a long pass on his first possession, and despite not scoring on the opening drive, Chris Cepeda picked off a pass. On the very next play, Matthew Wilson ran from 55 yards out to make it 7-0.
Wilson then did it again to start the second quarter to double the lead, and before the end of the first half, Spallina threw his first touchdown pass of the season to senior Hervin Louis to make it 21-0.
The two connected again at the beginning of the second half to extend their lead to 27. MSD then tacked on their fifth touchdown in the final quarter on a run from Justin Spano.
Next, MSD will play on the road for the first time on Thursday, September 5, at 7 p.m. before returning home the following week to play West Broward High School.
Send Your News to Coral Springs #1 Award-Winning News Site Here.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism and then graduated from the University of Florida as a graduate student. He also works for the Mohave Valley Daily News in Bullhead City, Arizona covering high school sports.
- NewsFebruary 22, 20245 Coral Springs Teams Compete in Regionals; Bowlers Compete in BCAA Tournament
- NewsFebruary 18, 2024Coral Glades Football Adds New Offensive Coordinator
- NewsFebruary 18, 2024Coral Springs Athletes Shine in Wrestling Tournaments and Lacrosse Matches
- NewsFebruary 15, 2024Former Coral Springs Charter Pitcher Brianna Godfrey Nearly Perfect in Debut With Maryland