By: Matt Rothman
After a tremendous run for Head Coach Matt Garris at Coral Springs Charter football, he announced on Monday he has accepted an Assistant Head Coach and the Defensive Coordinator position with Westover High School in Georgia.
Garris had been with the Panthers since 2015 and worked his first year under Adam Miller, now Head Coach at Westover.
After spending the last five seasons working as the head coach at CSC, he went 22-22. He picked up his first win over Pembroke Pines Charter and the school’s first playoff victory in school history after the realignment of divisions with their win over South Miami High School.
For Coach Garris, he says his time at Coral Springs Charter has been both joyful and fulfilling and wants to thank Principal Gary Springer and Athletic Director Michael Higgins for giving him his first chance to be the head coach.
“They provided unwavering support and a platform to impact lives,” Garris said. “Coral Springs Charter School is a special place propelled by special people. I am thankful for the many people, including coaches, families, support staff, and teachers, who positively contributed to our program and players.”
While Garris will be moving on, he’ll take one motto from CSS with him. “Once a Panther. Always a Panther.” He looks forward to the success of the community, school, and people that make it special.
“It’s the ultimate team game where connecting, communicating, and creating are a constant process,” added Garris. “People are the priority, but no one is irreplaceable, and the same goes for me.”
He wanted to let the players know well in advance of the 2021 football season. He plans to move from Coral Springs with his wife Rachel in the next few weeks.
The decision, though, on the next football coach at CSC should not take long as Higgins said they would be announcing the new coach on Tuesday, March 16, at 2:45 p.m.
Send Your News to Coral Springs #1 Award-Winning News Site Here.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism. He is now attending the University of Florida as a graduate student.
- News2021.07.21J.P. Taravella’s All-County Outfielder Luis Rodriguez Makes His College Choice
- News2021.07.19Coral Springs Girls Travel Basketball Team Ranks Number 1 in the State
- News2021.07.16Coral Springs Native Caleb Roberts Selected in 5th Round of MLB Draft
- News2021.07.16J.P. Taravella Grad Jack Sinclair Drafted in 16th Round of MLB Draft