By: Matt Rothman
The Coral Springs Charter football team earned their first playoff win by defeating South Miami Senior High School 17-14 Friday afternoon.
The win is their second of the season, but their first playoff victory since the realignment of conferences and the first for Head Coach Matt Garris at CSC.
“It obviously feels great, and knowing every opponent is in the playoffs for a reason makes it that much more special, Garris said. “There’s no such thing as an easy win. They all come from hard work and dedication of everyone in the program.”
In a tight defensive battle, the lone touchdown in the first half came moments before halftime as Brett Straus, and Mason Phillips connected for the first of two touchdowns to give the Panthers a 10-7 lead at the break.
In the second half, that duo once again connected for a touchdown. Despite South Miami cutting the lead to three, junior defensive end Jose Resendiz recovered a fumble as the Panthers were able to run the clock out.
“Tonight was an amazing team win,” Garris said. “We had nearly every player play tonight, which makes it even more meaningful.”
CSC will have more opportunities to play this season as they get set to face the winner of Suncoast and Boynton Beach Community High School next Friday night.
Send Your News to Coral Springs #1 News Site Here
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism. He is now attending the University of Florida as a graduate student.
- News2022.05.1812 Coral Glades Student-Athletes Officially Sign to Play in College
- News2022.05.18Stephanie Basso’s 3 Home Run Game Leads CSC Softball to Regional Final
- News2022.05.17Kate Maston’s Transition from Baseball to Softball Pays off for Coral Springs Charter
- News2022.05.167 Coral Springs Athletes Reach Podium in Track and Field State Championship