By: Matt Rothman
The Coral Springs Charter football team earned their first playoff win by defeating South Miami Senior High School 17-14 Friday afternoon.
The win is their second of the season, but their first playoff victory since the realignment of conferences and the first for Head Coach Matt Garris at CSC.
“It obviously feels great, and knowing every opponent is in the playoffs for a reason makes it that much more special, Garris said. “There’s no such thing as an easy win. They all come from hard work and dedication of everyone in the program.”
In a tight defensive battle, the lone touchdown in the first half came moments before halftime as Brett Straus, and Mason Phillips connected for the first of two touchdowns to give the Panthers a 10-7 lead at the break.
In the second half, that duo once again connected for a touchdown. Despite South Miami cutting the lead to three, junior defensive end Jose Resendiz recovered a fumble as the Panthers were able to run the clock out.
“Tonight was an amazing team win,” Garris said. “We had nearly every player play tonight, which makes it even more meaningful.”
CSC will have more opportunities to play this season as they get set to face the winner of Suncoast and Boynton Beach Community High School next Friday night.
Send Your News to Coral Springs #1 News Site Here
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism. Originally from Long Island, he moved to Parkland shortly after high school. Along with Parkland Talk, Matt is the lone contributing writer for the New York Islanders with The Hockey Writers. He worked as the Assistant Sports Editor for his school paper, Eagle News.
- News2021.01.24Coral Glades High School Cheerleading Team Earn 3rd In States
- News2021.01.22Coral Springs Charter Cheerleading Finish 2nd in States
- News2021.01.16Coral Glades Cheerleading Advance to State Finals For 10th Straight Year
- News2021.01.16Coral Springs High School Cheerleading Team Advance to State Finals