By: Jen Russon
An academy for young men studying Orthodox Judaism is relocating from University Drive in Coral Springs, to a new campus located close to its original site.
Also called a yeshiva in Hebrew, the Mesivta of Coral Springs was founded 13 years ago to serve the local community’s needs. It attracts young men from around the world between 14 and 17, studying Torah and Talmud and halacha — or Jewish law.
The rabbis who teach at the private high school also engage the students in outreach programs, where they help provide opportunities to others they meet locally. Tuition assistance is offered to many of the students.
Mayor Scott Brook said he welcomes the school’s relocation with open arms. The Mesivta reminds him of growing up in Washington Heights, New York, attending yeshiva as a young man, saying it was a life-changing experience.
“My love of the Talmud was a catalyst in my decision to practice law,” he said.
Currently located at 1730 North University Avenue, the Mesivta plans to relocate after new classrooms, sanctuary, offices, and dormitory for its students are built at the former North Broward Preparatory business center, south of Sample Road.
Rabbi Moshe Denburg, who teaches at the Mesivta, called in to the city of Coral Springs commission meeting on January 20 to participate in the public hearing about the school’s relocation.
His request was unanimously approved.
The new Mesivta campus is set to be built at 3251 NW 101st Avenue; the location had tentatively been planned as the McDougal Technical Institute site, but the cosmetology school pulled out of the real estate deal. Rabbi Denburg said the Mesivta closed on the building following city approval of their zoning request.
“At this point, pursuant to building permits and construction moving along at a steady pace, we hope to move in at the beginning of the new school year,” said Rabbi Denburg.
Send Your News to Coral Springs #1 Award-Winning News Site Here.
- Jen Russon has been a staff writer for Talk Media since 2018. She is also a novelist, copywriter and editor at Swallow Publishing, LLC.
- Events2022.01.10J.P. Taravella Kicks Off its Jason Stein Memorial Baseball Field Campaign at Upcoming Game
- News2022.01.07Broward Interim Superintendent Cartwright Answers Pressing Questions at Meet and Chat Event
- Events2021.12.16Coral Springs Community Garden Hosting December Plant Sale
- Events2021.12.156 Coral Springs Girl Scouts Host Garage Sale to Pay for Long-Awaited Georgia Trip