By: Sharon Aron Baron
Applications are now being accepted for a 2020 winner of the 4th Annual MLK Monument Award. This prestigious award honors an individual or organization in Coral Springs who embodies the ideals of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
On Friday, January 17, the Coral Springs MLK Committee will present the next honoree of the award on stage at the Coral Springs Center for the Arts where, for the past 30 years, the committee, with the support of the city has dedicated itself to living and perpetuating the dreams of Dr. King.
To be eligible for the award, you must be an individual who lives or works in the city of Coral Springs or is a business or organization based in Coral Springs. Current city officials or candidates for public office are not eligible to apply or be nominated.
Individuals, businesses, or organizations may submit applications for themselves, or be nominated by others. Nominees must demonstrate dedication to the Coral Springs community by giving of their time, talent, or treasure in harmony with the ideals of Dr. King.
They should embody qualities expressed in one or more of the Monument quotes listed below:
- Forgiveness is not an occasional act; it is a permanent attitude.
- Love is the only force capable of transforming an enemy into a friend.
- Faith is taking the first step, even when you don’t see the whole staircase.
- Courage faces fear and thereby masters it.
- We must all learn to live together as brothers – or we will all perish together as fools.
- The time is always right to do what is right.
- Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
- Let no man pull you so low as to hate him.
- True peace is not merely the absence of tension; it is the presence of justice.
- We must accept finite disappointment, but we must never lose infinite hope.
- Life’s most persistent and urgent question is: What are you doing for others?
All nominees will be honored with a Certificate of Recognition at the MLK Celebration on Friday, January 17, 2020, whether in attendance or not. The Award recipient will be announced at the event in addition to also being recognized at a City Commission meeting.
Nominations for the 2020 Award Deadline:
Return completed nomination form, which must be received no later than 5:00 p.m. on December 16, 2019 – whether mailed, submitted online, or hand-delivered. Attn: Sue Knight, Interim Community Relations Manager City Hall: 9500 West Sample Road, Coral Springs, Florida 33065,
- Editor of Talk Media and writer for Coral Springs Talk. CST was created in 2012 to provide News, Views, and Entertainment for the residents of Coral Springs and the rest of South Florida.
- News2020.11.23Coral Springs Holiday Parade Becomes a Drive-Thru Experience
- News2020.11.20MLK Committee Hosts Inaugural Virtual Art Contest for K-12 Students
- News2020.11.20Feeding South Florida to Host Thanksgiving Food Distributions in Days Leading Up to Thanksgiving
- News2020.11.16Coral Springs Police and Dispatch Receive National Re-Accreditation