By: Matt Rothman
North Springs Little League baseball team is set to play in the U.S. Championship game in the Senior League baseball World Series.
On Friday night at 7:30 p.m. the team will be in a rematch vs Hawaii. Hawaii worked their way through the loser bracket today and earned a 2-1 win over Texas to gain a birth in the U.S. Championship final.
After going 4-0 in their regional games, North Springs headed to South Carolina for the World Series. In the first game of the World Series, North Springs came from behind to win 5-4 against West Deptford Township Little League (East) with two runs in the bottom of the fifth. Matthew Hendrix started the game for North Springs and pitched five innings picking up the win. Devin Makovsky needed only 13 pitches to pick up the save in two innings of work.
With the win, North Springs advanced to play East Holmes Little League (Central) and after scoring seven runs in the sixth inning capped off with a home run by Coby Mayo to end the game due to the mercy rule. Mayo, along with five other pitchers combined for the win.
In the semi-finals of the U.S. Championship, North Springs (Southeast) and Central East Maui Little League (West) were scoreless until the tenth inning when North Springs walked it off on a wild pitch thrown by Jacob Chong to allow North Springs to move on into the championship game.
North Springs will take on the winner of the other semifinals game featuring Central East Maui (West) and Western University (Southwest) and the winner will play in the International Final on Saturday at 8:00 p.m. on ESPN 2.
North Springs Little League was founded in 1995 and their home field is North Community Park in Coral Springs.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism. He is now attending the University of Florida as a graduate student.
- News2021.07.27J.P. Taravella Pitcher Jack Sinclair Signs First Pro Contract
- News2021.07.27Infielder Gavin Conticello Decides Future After Being Selected in MLB Draft
- News2021.07.27Marjory Stoneman Douglas Aidan Minott Reveals College Decision
- News2021.07.27Coral Springs’ Outfielder Caleb Roberts Officially Goes Pro