By: Sharon Aron Baron
A Parkland woman died after her car was hit by a stolen Toyota that ran a red light while speeding away from police Tuesday morning.
At 10:40 a.m. Tuesday, Eric Abraham, 17, of Fort Lauderdale, was speeding eastbound on W. Sample Road in Coral Springs in a stolen Toyota Corolla, when patrol officers attempted to stop him after license plate recognition cameras alerted police of a stolen license plate. The driver ran the red light at the intersection of NW 101st Avenue, when he hit a 2015 Mercedes driven by Christianne Weiner, 53, of Parkland who was traveling northbound on NW 101st Avenue with a solid green light.
Weiner, a fourth grade teacher at Coral Springs Elementary School, was transported to Broward Health North where she was pronounced dead a short time later. Also in her vehicle was her son, 11, who was airlifted to Broward General Medical Center, with non life threatening injuries.
Preliminary investigation indicates the Corolla was reported stolen out of Miami Gardens. The driver, Abraham, was transported to Broward Health North. Also in the stolen Corolla were two juvenile passengers and one adult later identified as Tyree Goodwin, 18, of Fort Lauderdale who were treated for serious injuries. at Broward Health North.
Abraham is being charged with vehicular homicide; four counts of aggravated fleeing and eluding causing serious bodily injury or death; four counts of reckless driving causing serious bodily injury or death; four counts of driving without a license causing serious bodily injury or death; and possession of a stolen vehicle. The investigation is still on going and at this time it is unknown if the remaining occupants from the vehicle will be facing any criminal charges.
- Sharon Aron Baron is the Editor of Talk Media and writer for Coral Springs Talk. CST was created in 2012 to provide News, Views, and Entertainment for the residents of Coral Springs and the rest of South Florida.
- News2020.09.23Video: Patient at Broward Health Coral Springs Celebrates 101st Birthday
- News2020.09.23Sawgrass Nature Center Raising Funds for Environmental Education Project for Title 1 Schools
- News2020.09.23Clear Space by Safety Disposing Hazardous Waste October 3
- News2020.09.22Coral Springs Museum of Art Features the Smithsonian’s ‘100 Faces of War’