By Sharon Aron Baron
A man is in custody after stabbing a woman to death outside a Coral Springs Hospital on Tuesday.
At approximately 7:38 a.m., police received a 911 call from Broward Health Coral Springs, about a possible stabbing and hit and run in progress.
Once officers arrived on the scene, contact was made with the victim, Merin Joy, 26, an Indian nurse from Kerala, Kottayam, who was in the west parking lot with multiple stab wounds.
Rescue arrived on the scene and transported the victim to Broward Health North for treatment where she succumbed to her injuries and was pronounced dead at the hospital.
Coral Springs Police detectives conducted an investigation and determined the suspect to be Philip Mathew, age 34, of Wixon, Michigan.
The incident is believed to be part of a domestic dispute that was ongoing between the suspect and the victim. Mathew was located in Coral Springs at an area hotel where he sustained a self-inflicted knife wound and was transported to an area hospital for treatment.
He was taken into custody within a few hours of the initial 911 call and is being charged with First Degree Murder.
Currently, there is no additional threat to the area residents or patients of Broward Health Coral Springs.
Coral Springs Police Crimes Against Persons Unit is still actively investigating the incident and encourages anyone with information regarding the incident to contact Detective Jeff Payne at (954) 346-1757 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Send your News to Coral Springs #1 News Site Here.
- Editor of Talk Media and writer for Coral Springs Talk. CST was created in 2012 to provide News, Views, and Entertainment for the residents of Coral Springs and the rest of South Florida.
- News2021.06.23New Religious School Director Joins Temple Beth Orr in Coral Springs
- Events2021.06.22Coral Springs Festival of the Arts Accepting Artist Submissions for 2022 Event
- Events2021.06.22Ticket Alert: Comedian Steven Wright Performs at the Coral Springs Center for the Arts
- Events2021.06.18Volunteers Needed for Coral Springs Drive Clean-Up Day June 26