By: Matt Rothman
The Coral Springs High School girl’s basketball team continue their amazing run by advancing to the District Finals following their 68-27 win over Monarch High School.
The Colts, who have won six of their past seven games, and 13 this season, were led by Isabella Reynolds, who had a team-high 14 points.
“We defended and kept the pressure on them because we know they shoot the ball well,” said Head Coach Brenton Hankerson.
The Colts played one of their best defensive games all season and allowed the second-fewest points this year. They allowed only 20 points to Stranahan High School, but that came against a team with only two wins all season compared to 11 by Monarch.
It was also their highest-scoring game of the season and the fourth time this season that Coral Springs scored at least 60 points.
While last season ended with a loss in the District Championship to Deerfield Beach High School, the Colts won their first-round game against Piper before falling again to Deerfield Beach.
However, they will get a rematch with Deerfield Beach on Friday, February 7 at 7 p.m. These teams met earlier this season as well with the Colts falling 56-37. In fact, they have lost every game they have played against them since the 2006-07 season.
“We are going to the game and play,” Hankerson said. “We are playing with house money, but we will go and play our best.”
If the Colts win, they will guarantee themselves a chance to play in Regionals for the second straight year.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism. He is now attending the University of Florida as a graduate student. Matt also covers the New York Islanders for The Hockey Writer, the New York Mets for Last Word on Baseball and Florida Gators Athletics for ESPN Gainesville. He has also worked for the Naples Herald, Collier Sports Insider and was an assistant sports editor for his school newspaper.
- News2021.02.24J.P. Taravella Boys Lacrosse Celebrate First Win Since 2019
- News2021.02.24Vargas Shines on the Mound in Coral Springs Charter’s First Win of 2021
- News2021.02.24Coral Springs High School Football Star Delvontae Bouie Commits to Division I Program
- News2021.02.24Christie’s Walk-Off Hit Leads Coral Glades Softball to First Win