By: Sharon Aron Baron
Young adults and children get the opportunity to express themselves in an innovative new art program designed for those with special needs.
The Friendship Initiative invites families to learn about “Art Works,” a new program designed for children and young adults with special needs on Saturday, May 21, 2016 from 3 p.m. to 5 p.m. at Art Paper Scissors, located at 6654 Parkside Drive, Parkland. Students can explore this one-of-a-kind arts and crafts studio where participants can experiment with multiple sensory-developing projects.
In the four-week “Art Works” program, these children and young adults with special needs get the opportunity to use a variety of art supplies and techniques. Each class of the session will allow participants to explore different media including clay, paint, pastels, markers, pencil, etc. and each artist is paired with his or her own student volunteer. The program, run in coordination with Art Paper Scissors, is a fun-filled hour set in a compassionate environment that encourages each participant to explore and create while improving fine motor skills.
The Summer Session is scheduled for June 18, June 25, July 9 and July 16 at Art Paper Scissors. Classes are held from 10 a.m. to 11 a.m. on each of the Saturdays listed. There will also be a session scheduled in late Fall 2016. Cost is $40 for the first child; $30 each additional child. Supply fee is $15 per child. This is open to all children and young adults in Tamarac, Coral Springs and South Florida.
The Friendship Initiative offers a variety of enriching programs for children and adults with special needs and has as its mission to build the nation’s first, totally inclusive community park in the city of Parkland. For more information about The Friendship Initiative, volunteer and giving opportunities or to register for the Art Works Open House and/or the Art Works program, please visit www.thefriendshipinitiative.org or call Jeb Niewood at 954-464-6078.
- Editor of Talk Media and writer for Coral Springs Talk. CST was created in 2012 to provide News, Views, and Entertainment for the residents of Coral Springs and the rest of South Florida.
- News2021.01.25Chicken Salad Chick Coral Springs Opens with Delicious Giveaways
- News2021.01.24Rook This Way! Coral Springs Holding Open Play Chess on January 27
- News2021.01.24Sharpen Public Speaking Skills with Coral Springs Chamber’s New Toastmasters International Club
- News2021.01.23Coral Springs Crime and Arrests Through January 19