By Kevin Deutsch
A 27-year-old man was shot multiple times and killed inside a Coral Springs apartment complex Wednesday, police said.
Corithian Johnson, 27, of Sunrise, was fatally wounded after he forcibly entered his former domestic partner’s apartment – without permission – and was gunned down by a man already inside, police said.
Police did not say whether any arrests had been made.
Police first got word of the violence just before 9 a.m. when they responded to a report of an active shooting in the 300 block of Lakeview Drive.
As officers headed to the scene, a Coral Springs Police dispatcher contacted a female resident who said a man was shot and currently inside her apartment, police said.
Along with members of Coral Springs-Parkland Fire Rescue, officers entered the apartment and found Johnson with multiple gunshot wounds.
He was initially treated for his injuries by responding officers. After police secured the firearm used in the shooting, Coral Springs-Parkland Fire Rescue members continued medical treatment, police said.
Johnson was taken out of the residence and flown to Broward Health North by BSO Air Rescue. Doctors there pronounced him dead a short time later.
Police said their preliminary investigation revealed that Johnson forcibly entered the woman’s apartment and engaged in an altercation with another man – the alleged shooter – already inside the residence.
Johnson, a previous domestic partner of the female resident, was confronted by the shooter, who opened fire, police said.
Inside the residence at the time were the female resident, three children, and the shooter, police said. None of the five were injured during the incident.
Neither the shooter nor the female resident was publicly identified by police.
Send Your News to Coral Springs #1 Award-Winning News Site Here.
- Kevin Deutsch is an award-winning crime journalist and author. A graduate of Florida International University, Kevin has worked on staff at The Miami Herald, New York Daily News, and The Palm Beach Post.
- News2021.08.03Broward Schools Backtrack on Mask Mandate After Governor’s Order
- News2021.08.02Coral Springs Woman Charged in Killing Sent to Halfway House
- Crime & Safety2021.08.01Coral Springs Police Officer Charged With Battery
- Crime & Safety2021.07.31Technology Designed To Thwart Mass Shooters Now Active in Coral Springs