The District Maps are approved and the candidates are ready. It looks like it’s going to be a busy election season for at least two district seats affecting the Western part of Broward County this year with no seats going unchallenged.
Already the bloggers are having a field day with this race and it has only begun. Let’s just hope for some maturity and civility in each of these races. Only the candidates at the top can stop the venom that is spewed from their friends.
If they cannot show leadership early in the game. What can we expect from them when they are elected? Let’s all have a fair election and not let social media make a mockery out of the real issues.
District One which is comprised Weston, West Davie, Plantation, Sunrise, Lauderhill and a small part of Tamarac. Currently there are two candidates that running in this district since Ilene Lieberman has been termed out in 2012. They are Howard Berger, a Democrat who has been a Lauderhill City Commissioner since 2004 and Martin “Marty” Kiar, Democrat who is currently serving as a State Representative.
District Three which covers Parkland, Coral Springs, Tamarac, and half of North Lauderdale has been has been represented by Stacy Ritter since 2006. Ritter, a Democrat will be running again this year and has competition with Robert W. Sutton. Sutton, a Republican currently teaches High School with Broward County Schools.
I plan on keeping you in the loop as far as any town hall meeting with the candidates. Keep your questions handy. This election cycle would be a great opportunity to ask candidates about everything you’d like to know about our community and what can be done on Broward County’s end to make changes. Remember: They will be our representatives.
- Sharon Aron Baron is the Editor of Talk Media and writer for Coral Springs Talk. CST was created in 2012 to provide News, Views, and Entertainment for the residents of Coral Springs and the rest of South Florida.
- News2020.09.23Video: Patient at Broward Health Coral Springs Celebrates 101st Birthday
- News2020.09.23Sawgrass Nature Center Raising Funds for Environmental Education Project for Title 1 Schools
- News2020.09.23Clear Space by Safety Disposing Hazardous Waste October 3
- News2020.09.22Coral Springs Museum of Art Features the Smithsonian’s ‘100 Faces of War’