By: Sharon Aron Baron
Coral Glades High School wants you to “Smile” and attend the latest musical production by their drama department taking place February 26 through the 28th.
Loosely based upon the film of the same name, “Smile” is a little known Broadway musical by composer Marvin Hamlisch. Set in the 1980’s at the Young American Miss Pageant, the show’s catchy tunes and soaring melodies underscore hope, heartbreak and hilarity as young hopefuls pursue the crown.
The Coral Glades drama department faces extra challenges in preparation for their plays because they don’t have their own auditorium on campus. “Smile” will be presented at JP Taravella High School, which gives the crew very little time to create the sets.
“It’s been a bit of a challenge to have less than a week to actually work on the stage,” said Samantha Gaynor, publicity director and cast member. “Despite our unique situation, I think we’ve been able to put together a production that we can all be really proud of.”
Showtimes are February 26 and 27 at 7 p.m and February 27 and 28 at 2 p.m. at JP Taravella High School. Tickets are available at the door for $10 for students and seniors; $15 for adults; and $8 for groups of 20 or more.
“Being a part of Smile has been such an amazing experience. The cast and technical designers are so talented and it’s been a pleasure to work with everyone. Since Smile isn’t the most well-known show, I’m excited to see everyone’s reactions to it after seeing it for the first time ever,” said Gaynor.
For more information contact CGDrama@gmail.com. JP Taravella High School is located at 10600 Riverside Dr, Coral Springs, FL 33071.
- Sharon Aron Baron is the Editor of Talk Media and writer for Coral Springs Talk. CST was created in 2012 to provide News, Views, and Entertainment for the residents of Coral Springs and the rest of South Florida.
- News2020.09.19Vice Mayor Joy Carter Appointed to Serve on Florida League of Cities Legislative Policy Committee
- News2020.09.18Coral Springs Employer Awards Grants to 2 Minority-Owned Businesses
- News2020.09.17VIDEO: Coral Springs Police Respond to Alleged Rough Arrest Video
- News2020.09.14City of Coral Springs Hosts Plasma and Blood Drive