By: Matt Rothman
Despite being down to their final out, the Coral Springs Charter baseball team pulled out a stunning win in the Regional Quarterfinals over Monsignor Edward Pace High School in a game that ended at 12:45 a.m. Friday morning.
After Jeovanni Hernandez and Derek Kreisler were both retired in the top of the seventh, Leo Beltran tied the game with the teams’ first home run of the season and broke up the no-hitter.
The game went into extra innings after A.J. Prendergast was once again dominant. He struck out nine batters in seven innings and allowed one run.
Head Coach Charlie Fine turned to Robert Boing out of the bullpen. He maneuvered his way through a major jam in the eighth inning. After allowing the first two base runners to reach, Boing managed to get out of a bases-loaded jam to send the game to the ninth.
He then stranded another runner at third before the Panthers took the lead in the tenth. Damian Rodriguez reached on a fielder’s choice after Kristopher Goldstein led the inning off with a walk. Rodriguez then stole second base and came around to score on a base hit from Haiden Walters.
Boing then retired the side in the tenth to secure the team’s 13th win of the season.
“We can use every excuse in the world, but our kids just fight,” said Coach Fine. “I’m so fortunate to have an amazing coaching staff, and our guys respond. We will definitely enjoy this one for a bit and then turn our attention to the next one.”
Up next, the Panthers will be playing Hialeah Educational Academy, who pulled off a major upset over Calvary Christian Academy Thursday night. First pitch is scheduled for Tuesday, May 12, at 6:30 p.m.
Send Your News to Coral Springs #1 Award-Winning News Site Here.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism. He is now attending the University of Florida as a graduate student.
- News2022.01.16CSC’s Chris Haire Coaches Inaugural Battle at The Beach All-Star Game
- News2022.01.15Coral Springs Charter’s Dalton Mason Wins the Senior Bowl Tournament
- News2022.01.15Coral Springs High School Boys and Girls Soccer Cap Off Strong Week with Senior Night
- News2022.01.14Coral Glades Cheerleading Qualify for State Semifinals