By: Matt Rothman
Coral Springs Charter Football team earned their first win of the season with a 28-0 win over Everglades Prep Academy behind a massive performance from quarterback Brett Straus.
The junior went 11/25 with two touchdown passes as rushed for 26 yards and a touchdown, as CSC moves to 1-2 in the season.
Head coach Matthew Garris was happy with his team’s effort after only one day of preparation due to Hurricane Dorian.
“The offensive line allowed quarterback Straus and our running back Terrell Taylor to make some big plays,” Garris said. “The defensive line did a great job disrupting their plays allowing us to generate some turnovers and make some great plays on the second level.”
Straus opened up the scoring with a four-yard rushing touchdown in the second quarter to give the Panthers a 7-0 lead. Shortly later, Lorenzo Catalan had a pick-six to give CSC a 14-0 lead, which they would sustain going into the second half.
Straus continued his with a two-yard touchdown pass as well as a 42-yard touchdown pass to Terrell Taylor to put the Panthers up 28-0, preserving the shutout.
Noah Fernandez led the team with three tackles, including a sack. Xavier Mcnee and Jolstin Valcin also had sacks. Ryan Merovee also created a turnover with the team’s second interception of the night.
Up next, CSC will face Coral Glades at home on Friday, September 13, at 7 p.m. They also come in with a 1-2 record having defeated Northeast 33-0 last week. These two teams met last season with the Panthers winning 41-13 at Coral Glades High School.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism. He is now attending the University of Florida as a graduate student.
- News2021.10.23Coral Springs High School Cheerleading Team Honored on Senior Night of Football Game
- News2021.10.23Coral Springs Charter Football Game Ends in Tie Due to Lack of Lighting
- News2021.10.23Coral Glades Football Silences Critics With Important Win Friday Night
- News2021.10.22Coral Springs Charter Girls Swim Team Shines At BCAA Championship