By: Matt Rothman
Head Coach of Coral Springs Boys’ Volleyball, Frank Bumbales, has done a tremendous job of helping build his team.
Along with coaching the girls’ program, he has been there since 2017. After a rough opening year, they won 37 matches in the past two and a half years, and this year, they were off to a 6-3 start before their season got cut short due to COVID 19.
Highlighted by a talented senior class, Coral Springs had impressive wins over Pembroke Pines Charter, Coral Springs Charter in four sets, and J.P Taravella in five.
Of the seniors, Malik Desir and Nicholas Jimenez were on the team for four seasons. They both finish in the top three on the team in kills with a combined 106 this year.
Shawn Calixte was entering his third year and was the team leader in kills with 72.
Seniors Nicholas Cordero and Kenneth Wright Jr. were solid defensively. Cordero has a team-high 74 digs. Wright J.R. Also had a handful of digs and had 11 blocks and 14 block assists in 2020.
Marvet Monjeunne and Whitney Taylor both were playing their first year on the varsity team and appeared in three sets.
While a couple of these players were on the 2018 team that went 18-3, they were never able to win Districts after getting upset in the District semifinals that year to Deerfield Beach. However, Bumbales is proud of what they accomplished and hopes for them in the future as they are all set to go to college.
The Colts will undoubtedly miss the talented senior group but have their eyes set on next year when they return six juniors, two sophomores and a trio of freshmen that all gained valuable experience during the ten matches.
Send Your News to Coral Springs #1 News Site Here.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism. He is now attending the University of Florida as a graduate student.
- News2022.05.1812 Coral Glades Student-Athletes Officially Sign to Play in College
- News2022.05.18Stephanie Basso’s 3 Home Run Game Leads CSC Softball to Regional Final
- News2022.05.17Kate Maston’s Transition from Baseball to Softball Pays off for Coral Springs Charter
- News2022.05.167 Coral Springs Athletes Reach Podium in Track and Field State Championship