By: Matt Rothman
Head Coach of Coral Springs Boys’ Volleyball, Frank Bumbales, has done a tremendous job of helping build his team.
Along with coaching the girls’ program, he has been there since 2017. After a rough opening year, they won 37 matches in the past two and a half years, and this year, they were off to a 6-3 start before their season got cut short due to COVID 19.
Highlighted by a talented senior class, Coral Springs had impressive wins over Pembroke Pines Charter, Coral Springs Charter in four sets, and J.P Taravella in five.
Of the seniors, Malik Desir and Nicholas Jimenez were on the team for four seasons. They both finish in the top three on the team in kills with a combined 106 this year.
Shawn Calixte was entering his third year and was the team leader in kills with 72.
Seniors Nicholas Cordero and Kenneth Wright Jr. were solid defensively. Cordero has a team-high 74 digs. Wright J.R. Also had a handful of digs and had 11 blocks and 14 block assists in 2020.
Marvet Monjeunne and Whitney Taylor both were playing their first year on the varsity team and appeared in three sets.
While a couple of these players were on the 2018 team that went 18-3, they were never able to win Districts after getting upset in the District semifinals that year to Deerfield Beach. However, Bumbales is proud of what they accomplished and hopes for them in the future as they are all set to go to college.
The Colts will undoubtedly miss the talented senior group but have their eyes set on next year when they return six juniors, two sophomores and a trio of freshmen that all gained valuable experience during the ten matches.
Send Your News to Coral Springs #1 News Site Here.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism. Originally from Long Island, he moved to Parkland shortly after high school. Along with Parkland Talk, Matt is the lone contributing writer for the New York Islanders with The Hockey Writers. He worked as the Assistant Sports Editor for his school paper, Eagle News.
- News2020.09.08Gavin Conticello: Coral Springs Charter School’s Sensational Senior
- News2020.07.07Coral Springs Resident Coby Mayo Inks Deal with Baltimore Orioles
- News2020.06.17Eric Windell Named Coral Springs Charter Boys Varsity Basketball Coach
- News2020.06.12Coral Springs’ Coby Mayo Drafted by Major League Baseball