By: Sharon Aron Baron
This year marks the 30th year of events honoring the life and legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
A Christian minister and activist who became the most visible spokesperson and leader in the Civil Rights Movement from 1955 until his assassination in 1968, King is best known for advancing civil rights through nonviolence and civil disobedience, inspired by his Christian beliefs and the nonviolent activism of Mahatma Gandhi.
Thursday, January 16
Coral Springs has several events to honor Dr. King. First, an awards ceremony will be held for the winners of the Student Art & Literary Exhibit at the Coral Springs Museum of Art from 5-6:30 p.m. at 2855 Coral Springs Drive.
Friday, January 17
The public is invited to attend the MLK Monument Award Presentation, followed by the Motown Magic The Ultimate Tribute concert at the Coral Springs Center for the Arts.
Concert-goers will be treated to the greatest soul hits with Motown Magic. Tickets are on sale here. Following the concert, there is an after-party and meet and greet with the band for an additional $25 per person.
Monday, January 20
The official observance of the Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Holiday – the Coral Springs MLK Committee hosts a Diversity & Leadership Workshop for high school and middle school students and wants you to #MeetMeAtTheMonument. The event, which will be held at the Northwest Regional Library, begins at 8:30 a.m. and ends at 1 p.m. The workshop is called “It’s a Day On, Not a Day Off,” and offers students an opportunity to learn what Dr. King fought for, and will have interactive activities, musical entertainment and lunch.
Students interested in attending must pre-register with their respective schools.
A scholarship program in honor of Dr. King, administered by the Coral Springs MLK Committee, provides funding to financially disadvantaged high school senior students planning to attend a higher institution of learning. The scholarships are offered regardless of ethnicity. Winners announced in April or May. For details, call 954-344-1005. Or visit coralsprings.org/MLK.
- Editor of Talk Media and writer for Coral Springs Talk. CST was created in 2012 to provide News, Views, and Entertainment for the residents of Coral Springs and the rest of South Florida.
- EventsFebruary 22, 2024Black History Month Book Fair Celebrates African American Culture
- EventsFebruary 21, 2024Phi Xi Zeta Chapter Celebrates 16 Years in Coral Springs with Tribute to Police
- NewsFebruary 21, 2024Coral Glades Educator Named Finalist for Career and Technical Education Teacher
- EventsFebruary 19, 2024Orchid and Plant Festival Returns to the Sawgrass Nature Center