By: Sharon Aron Baron
With schools closing across the country to protect children from the spread of COVID-19, one aviation institution has ramped up free online courses.
Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University, based in Daytona Beach, has ramped up free online course offerings on topics ranging from aeronautics and meteorology to computer applications, history, and more.
No-cost options are available for the general public as well as Embry-Riddle employees.
We want to help children keep learning while they are out of school said Embry-Riddle President P. Barry Butler, Ph.D.
“Our faculty members have developed online courses that introduce core concepts and offer enrichment activities to help spark young people’s interest in science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM). We are happy to provide quality content that allows students of all ages to master new skills that will serve them well now and in the future.”
“Aviation is Your Future,” a free massive open online course, offers an introduction to aviation for children aged 8 to 17. Suitable for both girls and boys, the self-paced, six-hour online course helps fuel a passion for aviation by introducing young people to aviation fundamentals.
Coral Springs students enrolled in this online course explore aspects of flight such as lift, gravity, thrust, and drag. They also learn to identify the major parts of an airplane, describe the flight characteristics of a helicopter, and discuss the goals of space exploration.
The free course is a project of the Women in Aviation International (WAI) Chapter at Embry-Riddle Worldwide, offered in conjunction with WAI.
The following Embry-Riddle courses (and many others) have no prerequisite requirements:
Aviation 101 (Introduction to Aviation)
ASCI 202 (Aeronautics Pathway)
ASCI 254 (Aviation Legislation)
CSCI 109 (Introduction to Computers & Applications)
BIOL 120 (Foundations of Biology)
HIST 130 (History of Aviation in America)
WEAX 201 (Meteorology)
SOCI 210 (Introduction to Sociology)
To sign up, go to Canvas.
- Sharon Aron Baron is the Editor of Talk Media and writer for Coral Springs Talk. CST was created in 2012 to provide News, Views, and Entertainment for the residents of Coral Springs and the rest of South Florida.
- News2020.05.26Over 100 Coral Springs Restaurants Now Open for Inside Dining or Delivery
- News2020.05.25COVID-19 Cases in Coral Springs from Florida Department of Health May 25
- News2020.05.24Impressive List of 2020 Candidates Running for Office in Coral Springs –So Far
- News2020.05.22COVID-19 Cases in Coral Springs from Florida Department of Health May 22