By: Matt Rothman
Coral Glades star defensive tackle Faud Rivas had 14 offers to play college football but decided to commit to Peru State College in Nebraska on Thursday morning.
Rivas, who moved to Coral Springs when he was in seventh grade, felt Peru State gave him the best opportunity.
“It was just the love that I was getting from them,” Rivas said. “It was just the best choice for me.”
Getting a late start, Rivas didn’t begin playing football until he was a freshman in high school, receiving his first opportunity to play consistently as a junior. He registered eight sacks in 11 games and then had seven more this season in only six games helping Coral Glades make the playoffs — the first time in school history.
A large part of his success, he says, goes to his mother, Azize, and his defensive line trainer, David Gilbert, and Head Coach, Cam Thomas.
Thomas turned him into a better player mentally and physically, and Rivas said he wouldn’t be where he is if it wasn’t for him. The two worked together to make Rivas into a star.
“The tradition that he left behind is going to go a long way,” Thomas said. “He brought that dog mentality and also had a way of picking everyone up. He was a true friend and captain on our team.”
Rivas will be eligible to play in college during the fall of 2021 and join a team that won 19 games over three years from 2015-2017. They had their season cut short this past fall after three games and are getting a player in Rivas that can make an immediate impact.
Send Your News to Coral Springs #1 Award-Winning News Site Here.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism. He is now attending the University of Florida as a graduate student. Matt also covers the New York Islanders for The Hockey Writer, the New York Mets for Last Word on Baseball and Florida Gators Athletics for ESPN Gainesville.
- News2021.03.04Coral Springs High School Girl’s Flag Football Team Win Big in First Game
- News2021.03.04Coral Glades Star Running Back Keshawn Barrett Signs with University
- News2021.02.27Marjory Stoneman Douglas Softball Wins 1st Game With Strong Offense
- News2021.02.27Marjory Stoneman Douglas Girls Soccer Incredible Run Ends at States