By: Matt Rothman
In his second game as Head Coach, former NFL Pro Bowler Leonard Weaver picked up his first win after a 19-13 victory over J.P. Taravella in the Mayor’s Cup.
Both teams were coming off losses in their opening game of the year, and in what was a wet game, the Colts relied heavily on the run game. Delvontae Bouie scored the game-winning touchdown with 22 seconds left in the contest after Junior Dean forced a fumble in the final minute.
For Weaver, he was pleased to get that first win but could not be more proud of how his team competed while playing in terrible conditions.
“It means something great because it speaks to the volume of the kids, Weaver said. “They respect what we do and the leadership. When you have that, the kids come out and play as hard as they do, so it means a lot.”
Early on, with the rain coming down hard, JPT forced an early turnover, and Anthony Darmetta ran it in from a yard out to give the Trojans a 6-0 lead. Shortly after, the JPT extended their lead as Caleb Allen picked off a pass from Tony Martin and brought it back for a pick-six to extend the lead to 13.
However, CSHS scored the next 19 points. It started with Marvin McKenzie scoring consecutive rushing touchdowns to tie the game at 13.
Both teams struggled to produce much offense in the second half. Allen had his second interception of the game for the Trojans, but Coral Springs won it after Junior Jean forced the fumble, leading to Bouie’s game-winning score for Weaver’s first win.
“With our coaching staff, they give everything we ask for,” Bouie said. “They are good coaches that we could rely on. They could rely on us, and they bring everything to the table.”
Next, Coral Springs will have their lone non-conference matchup at home against Monarch High School on Friday, November 13, at 7 p.m, when the Colts honor their seniors during the game.
Send Your News to Coral Springs #1 News Site Here.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism. He is now attending the University of Florida as a graduate student.
- News2022.01.25Coral Glades Girls Basketball Wins by 24 on Senior Night
- News2022.01.25Coral Springs Charter Boys Basketball Team Wins 2nd Game This Season
- News2022.01.24Coral Springs High School Boys and Girls Basketball Host Senior Night
- News2022.01.24CSC Girls Basketball Wins Final Home Game on Senior Night