By Sharon Aron Baron
A free tax preparation service for individuals and families who need assistance is now available in Coral Springs.
Held on Thursday, February 02, from 1:00 p.m. – 6:00 p.m. at the Northwest Regional Library, trained and certified volunteer tax preparers will help eligible taxpayers not only prepare their taxes for free but also determine their eligibility for special tax credits such as the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Child Tax Credit (CTC), and Education Credits.
The federal EITC is aimed at low-to-moderate-income working individuals and families and can reduce the amount of taxes owed, refunding the difference if the credit is larger than the amount owed. The amount of the credit changes yearly and is based on earnings, the number of qualifying children, and marital status. To be eligible, taxpayers must be US citizens or legal permanent residents.
Individuals and families with an annual household income of $66,000 or less in 2022 who are working, with or without dependents, people with disabilities, veterans, seniors, and taxpayers whose primary language is not English are eligible for the free tax preparation services.
The service may also be available to taxpayers with greater annual household incomes if their tax returns are within the scope and approved by the site coordinator.
Taxpayers can contact the VITA Hotline at 954-964-8884 extension 3, log onto www.vitataxesfree.org, or visit the nearest VITA site during operating hours for more information on the services. Taxpayers can also call 2-1-1 for additional information.
The services offered include free tax preparation and assistance with filing 2022 federal income tax returns throughout the filing season. This initiative is aimed at helping adult individuals and families who may need assistance with their taxes.
The Northwest Regional Library is located at 3151 North University Drive in Coral Springs.
- Editor of Talk Media and writer for Coral Springs Talk. CST was created in 2012 to provide News, Views, and Entertainment for the residents of Coral Springs and the rest of South Florida.
- News2023.03.16Coral Springs and Parkland Students Take Center Stage at Annual Teen Political Forum
- Events2023.03.15Get Egg-cited for the Hoppin’ Into Springs Egg Hunt in Coral Springs
- Events2023.03.14Coral Springs Welcomes Return of Lisa’s Run for Hope 5K/12K Run/Walk
- Events2023.03.14Experience a Weekend of Art, Music and Culture at the 17th Annual Festival of the Arts