By: Matt Rothman
The J.P. Taravella varsity football team earned its first win of the season in dominating fashion after a 41-0 win over Coral Glades.
It was a tough beginning of the season for the Trojans as they scored just 15 points in the first three games against three extremely talented high schools. They won seven games last year for their first winning season since 2013 and handed Coral Glades their fourth loss of the season.
Head Coach Charles Hafley could not have asked for a better start to the game, as the Trojans scored 31 points in the first half. They added ten more in the second half as the defense preserved the team’s first shutout since a 13-0 win over Pompano Beach back in 2016.
“Starling 1-0 is really important,” Hafley said. “JPT Trojan football has an official win and something to build on.”
On the defensive side of the ball, Yeshousha Covin had three interceptions, and Aaron Legiste recovered a fumble and scored one of five Trojans’ touchdowns.
Reggie Wallace scored two touchdowns for JPT with one coming on a punt return and another on a touchdown pass from Dylan Young. Sterling Tillman also caught a touchdown pass from Young, and Michael Brown rushed for a touchdown. Kicker Joshua Hernandez made all five extra points as well as two field goals.
The win was extra special as JPT welcomed in the Coral Springs Chargers Youth Football team to the game where kids were allowed on the field to give high-fives to players before kickoff. Hafley hopes his team can inspire some younger players who will continue to play the great sport of football.
Up next, JPT will face the Piper Bengals Friday, September 27 at 7 p.m., in Sunrise. The Bengals have yet to win a game this year but haven’t lost to the Trojans since 2013. On October 4, they will have a highly anticipated matchup with Marjory Stoneman Douglas.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism and then graduated from the University of Florida as a graduate student. He also works for the Mohave Valley Daily News in Bullhead City, Arizona covering high school sports.
- NewsMarch 1, 20244 Local High School Baseball Teams Compete in BCAA Tournament
- NewsMarch 1, 2024Rivalry Matchups Highlight Eventful Week of Athletics in Coral Springs
- NewsFebruary 22, 20245 Coral Springs Teams Compete in Regionals; Bowlers Compete in BCAA Tournament
- NewsFebruary 18, 2024Coral Glades Football Adds New Offensive Coordinator