By: Matt Rothman
J.P. Taravella senior Javi Miranda is set to become the fourth baseball player in the past three years to commit to Indian River State College in Fort Pierce.
“It’s great to finally be committed,” Miranda said. “It has been a grind to get where I am now, and to know that the hard work is paying off is an amazing feeling.”
Miranda began playing when he was two with his cousins. Miranda then joined South Florida Inferno and played for Boca Hitmen, Big Shot Bombers, Original Florida Pokers, and JPT during his sophomore year.
He pitched in six games this past season, recording one win and striking out 12 after starting to pitch a year ago. During his time on varsity, the Trojans have reached Regionals three times while with 56 victories.
“My time at Taravella has been great,” Miranda added. I have had many memories, and friends have been made there throughout the years,”
Head Coach Joe Giummule says he has not coached a kid who has gained as much attention as Miranda over the past four months.
“Javi is a super athletic and a fast twitch player that has made tremendous gains since we converted him to a pitcher,” Giummule said. “This summer, he made a name for himself and had many offers to choose from, and he is now on every major league team’s radar as his velocity has spiked into the low 90s.
When deciding where to play in college, Miranda says the support from the coaching staff and his former teammates convinced him to attend. Before attending college, Miranda hopes to improve his command and velocity to achieve his goals. J.P. Taravella will open their season in February against Key West, while Indian River State won 25 games this past season.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism and then graduated from the University of Florida as a graduate student. He also works for the Mohave Valley Daily News in Bullhead City, Arizona covering high school sports.
- NewsDecember 4, 20232 Local Rivals Clash; Basketball, Soccer and Wrestling Season Underway
- NewsDecember 1, 2023Coral Glades Basketball and Soccer Teams Face Mixed Fortunes in Recent Matchups
- NewsNovember 26, 2023High School Basketball in Coral Springs Tips-Off on Black Friday
- NewsNovember 25, 2023Carter Brooks of Coral Glades Named PGA South Florida Player of the Year