By: Sharon Aron Baron
Members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints in Coral Springs and surrounding areas caravanned up to the Titusville/Daytona Beach area last Saturday and Sunday to assist others in the aftermath of Hurricane Matthew.
The roughly 50 volunteers assembled at the local LDS chapel in Coca Beach and donned their yellow Mormon Helping Hands T-shirts and then headed out into the community to offer relief.
They, along with hundreds of other volunteers helped clear trees from roadways and homes, gather palm fronds and other yard waste, and offer support and comfort to residents, many without power or the means to clear their yards themselves.
Stephen Smith, President of the Coral Springs area of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints said, “The opportunity to unplug from our daily, mundane concerns and engage in service to others in need is the essence of true, Christian religion.”
Smith said that he felt that acting on opportunities to serve are what gives Christians the chance to actually put into practice the things they are taught on Sunday. According to him, It seemed to be working as 12-year-old Owen Rose quipped after a long day of hauling tree branches, ‘Time flies by when you’re helping someone,’ a lesson he said more parents would like their children to learn.”
Smith hopes that members of his congregation will take the experiences of the weekend and bring the spirit of service back to the Coral Springs area.
“The great thing about service like this is that both the giver and receiver are blessed. ”I think we can all agree that we have been blessed, and it is time to pay it forward in whatever small ways we can.”
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints in Coral Springs is located at 10148 NW 31st Street.
- Editor of Talk Media and writer for Coral Springs Talk. CST was created in 2012 to provide News, Views, and Entertainment for the residents of Coral Springs and the rest of South Florida.
- News2021.05.05Mullins Hall COVID-19 Test Site to Close in Coral Springs
- Events2021.05.04Tickets Go on Sale for Cirque Musica Holiday Spectacular
- News2021.05.04Volunteers Show Their Appreciation for Teachers at 22 Coral Springs Schools
- Events2021.05.03Coral Springs Honors Heroes in Special Memorial Day Service