By Ryan Yousefi
A man was arrested and charged with battery on a law enforcement officer following a violent attack on a Coral Springs police officer.
On March 7 the Coral Springs Police Department received a report of a man, later identified as Paul Anthony Acevedo, 37, of Coral Springs, sleeping next to an air conditioning unit outside of the First Methodist Church located at 8605 West Sample Road.
According to the police report, officers were dispatched to the church and upon arrival, found Acevedo sleeping on the north side of the building where children were being dropped off for the preschool located within the church.
The report states officers informed Acevedo that he needed to gather his belongings and depart the premises, as he was trespassing on the property. However, Acevedo became irate and stated that he was not leaving until he fought with the officers.
The arrest report shows the situation quickly escalated, with Acevedo dropping his belongings and approaching the officers in an aggressive manner with his fists clenched.
In an attempt to protect themselves, the report shows officers grabbed Acevedo’s arm and tripped him to the ground, however, Acevedo continued to resist their attempts to take him into custody and refused to put his hands behind his back.
The report shows at one point during the struggle Acevedo was able to mount an officer and began striking an officer in the torso. The officer wrote in the report that he was eventually able to gain back control and take Acevedo into custody.
Acevedo was transported to the hospital for medical clearance before being transferred to the Broward Sheriff’s Office Main Jail.
Send Your News to Coral Springs #1 Award-Winning News Site Here. Don’t miss reading Parkland Talk, Tamarac Talk, Coconut Creek Talk, and Margate Talk.
- Ryan Yousefi has lived in Coral Springs for over 30 years. He has worked as a writer for multiple outlets over the years, including the Miami New Times where he has covered sports and culture since 2013. He holds a Bachelor’s Degree and a Master’s Degree in Business Healthcare Management from Western Governors University.
- Crime & Safety2023.03.21Eat Mor Chikin’, Have Less Beef: Woman Arrested for Pulling Gun at Chick-fil-A Drive-Thru
- Eat2023.03.21Coral Springs Mediterranean Restaurant Faces 11 Health and Safety Violations Following State Inspection
- Crime & Safety2023.03.20Walmart Employee Takes ‘Rollback Prices’ Too Seriously, Charged with Grand Theft
- Eat2023.03.18Ocean One Grille Ordered Shut Down By State Inspectors After 14 Violations Discovered