By Ryan Yousefi
The Coral Springs Police Department has provided an update regarding the fatal shooting and subsequent manhunt of a suspect on Tuesday evening.
CSPD announced earlier this morning that the chaotic scene unfolded as the department received numerous 9-1-1 calls on Tuesday night regarding shots fired near the 9200 Block of Ramblewood Drive.
According to a CSPD press release, one of the callers had described hearing four gunshots and witnessing a white male, later identified as Chase William Harder, 21, a detention officer with the Fort Lauderdale Police Department, carrying a child over his shoulder.
Witnesses told officers Harder fled the scene in a white Mercedes SUV from the parking lot. Upon arriving at the scene, law enforcement officers discovered a lifeless victim who had sustained multiple gunshot wounds.
With the assistance of investigative resources, officers traced the vehicle’s license plate that Harder had used to escape. They began a manhunt and investigation into the circumstances surrounding the shooting.
At approximately 11:03 pm the same night, the child’s biological father called CSPD to inform officers that Harder had left the child at his residence.
Moments later, Chase Harder surrendered to CSPD in the police station’s lobby.
During the subsequent questioning by detectives, Harder confessed to murdering the victim.
Harder was arrested and transported to the Broward County Main Jail, now facing premeditated murder charges.
The victim’s identity is being withheld, as the next of kin are yet to be formally notified.
- Ryan Yousefi has lived in Coral Springs for over 30 years. He has worked as a writer for multiple outlets over the years, including the Miami New Times where he has covered sports and culture since 2013. He holds a Bachelor’s Degree and a Master’s Degree in Business Healthcare Management from Western Governors University.
- Crime & SafetyDecember 7, 2023Following Road Rage Incident, Victim Endures Two Weeks of Intimidation and Over 62,000 Robocalls from Aggressor
- EventsDecember 7, 2023Shop on a Budget at the Seized Asset Auction on December 10
- EventsDecember 5, 202311th Annual ‘Light Up The Night’ Holiday Celebration Held on December 7
- Crime & SafetyDecember 1, 2023Coral Springs Police Issue Urgent Warning In Response to Rising Check Theft