By: Matt Rothman
Freshman Isa Vega of the Coral Glades High School softball team threw a perfect game in the team’s 15-0 (4) win over Deerfield Beach High School on Monday.
Vega retired all 12 hitters she faced and struck out 11 with the lone contact coming off a weak ground out to the pitcher.
“Isa is very composed and very coachable for a freshman, and it doesn’t hurt that she has lightning stuff when she’s on,” said Head Coach Richard Waldorf. “It was one of those nights, and she was unhittable.
Along with the excellent pitching performance, she also drove in two runs later in the game with a single as the Jaguars pounded out 11 hits in four innings.
Payton Post and Alyanna McGrath each led the team with three RBI’s and combined for three of the teams five extra-base hits.
Lauren Fortunato, Mac Wolfe, and Erin Love combined to each drive in two runs apiece in the team’s second-largest win this season.
They defeated Northeast High School 20-0 on February 27 and have won two straight since their 4-2 loss to South Plantation High School as they are 4-1 on the season.
Up next, Coral Glades will have one more game this week with a matchup on Wednesday, March 11, at home against Dillard at 6:30 p.m. They then have one of their most exciting games of the season next Monday, March 16, against Coral Springs High School at 6:30 p.m.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism. He is now attending the University of Florida as a graduate student. Matt also covers the New York Islanders for The Hockey Writer, the New York Mets for Last Word on Baseball and Florida Gators Athletics for ESPN Gainesville.
- News2021.02.27Marjory Stoneman Douglas Softball Wins 1st Game With Strong Offense
- News2021.02.27Marjory Stoneman Douglas Girls Soccer Incredible Run Ends at States
- News2021.02.27Marjory Stoneman Douglas Boy’s Lacrosse Off to Outstanding 3-1 Start
- News2021.02.27Coral Springs High School Boys Basketball Complete Remarkable Season