By: Matt Rothman
The Coral Springs Charter wrestling team had a memorable year with which wrapped up with a strong performance in States held on March 5-7.
Led by Terrell Taylor (160), who won districts he and was among four other Panthers to make it to States along with Alek Chitty (152), Peyton Vargas (106), and Ethan Wilson (182).
That was the most the Panthers have ever sent since they sent five in 2014. Since 2007, they have had at least three wrestlers in the State Tournament.
Earlier in the season, CSC had eight wrestlers compete in Districts at Cardinal Gibbons High School, where Chitty won his fourth straight District Championship. Terrell also won in Districts as Tyler Vargas (170), Peyton Vargas, Wilson, and Ryan Munoz (195) finished in second place. Griffin Perko (145) finished in third, and Keon Taylor (126) placed in fourth.
Following that, CSC competed in Regionals at Jensen Beach, as Taylor became the third wrestler in Panthers’ history to win Regionals. He joined Kenny Rosa and Kevin Soltis as the lone Regional Championships.
Both Chitty and PeytonVargas had strong results placing in third and fourth place, respectively, with Wilson pinning his guy in the first wrestle back round before losing a close second-round consolation match.
After having three players finish in the top four, CSC went to the State Championship at Silver Spurs Arena in Kissimmee, Florida.
Taylor had the best result coming in fourth place, Chitty Finished in fifth place and has 208 career wins. While Peyton Vargas did not get off to a great start losing his first match, he won three straight to place in sixth place.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism. He is now attending the University of Florida as a graduate student. Matt also covers the New York Islanders for The Hockey Writer, the New York Mets for Last Word on Baseball and Florida Gators Athletics for ESPN Gainesville.
- News2021.04.172 Freshmen on Coral Springs Charter Baseball Team Throw Combined No-Hitter
- News2021.04.16Andre Barnes 10th Coral Glades Athlete to Commit to College this Year
- News2021.04.16Alex Bruno Makes History for Coral Springs Charter Track and Field
- News2021.04.165 Coral Springs Charter Athletes Officially Sign to Play in College