By: Sharon Aron Baron
When new Broward County residents Sam and Ellen Stern arrived at their daughter’s home in Coral Springs, they brought along Thornsby, a seven-year-old Treeing Walker Coon Hound. Thornsby is a rescue dog adopted by the Stern’s from Hope Safe House located in Thornsby, Wisconsin (thus the creative name). It appears Thornsby hopped the fence and since he did not know his surroundings, he began a tour of the Coral Springs area.
When they realized Thornsby had escaped from the backyard, the Stern’s immediately contacted Coral Springs Talk and the Coral Springs Police Department to report him missing. As a result, the Humane Unit contacted the family and began the search for the missing hound. For five days there were several Thornsby sightings, but he always managed to slip away before the Humane Unit arrived. Finally, after five days of looking, a concerned and alert resident, who follows the Coral Springs Talk Facebook pages, spotted Thornsby and called the Coral Springs non-emergency number to report his whereabouts.
Thornsby was successfully found lying on the lawn at Coral Springs hospital and calmly walked over with a wagging tale reunited with his very grateful family. The Stern’s remarked, “The Coral Springs Police Humane Unit was simply incredible, they went above and beyond to assist us in finding Thornsby. Their concern and constant follow up with our family was reassuring.” This is one of many reasons the unit was recently named “Unit of the Year” by the Awards Committee for the police department.
Thornsby is a calm and gentle dog, but is easily frightened by strangers. His owners’ refer to him as their “Beagle on Stilts” and are so grateful and appreciative to everyone who assisted in trying to locate their dog. They told us that “Thornsby spent the night getting a great meal, lots of water and he slept on one of the kids bed.”
Our post about Thornsby had over 61 comments, seen by over 17,000 people and shared over 300 times our Facebook page. Thanks to our readers that helped reunite this dog and his family.
- Editor of Talk Media and writer for Coral Springs Talk. CST was created in 2012 to provide News, Views, and Entertainment for the residents of Coral Springs and the rest of South Florida.
- News2021.01.23Marjory Stoneman Douglas Climate Sustainability Club Holds Fundraiser
- News2021.01.23National Fraternal Order of Police Reports 371 Law Enforcement Officers Have Died From COVID-19
- News2021.01.22Effective Immediately Coral Springs COVID-19 Vaccine Site to Requires Proof of Florida Residency
- News2021.01.21The Window for School Choice Applications Shuts February 8