By: Sharon Aron Baron
The J.P. Taravella Band and Orchestra Program has been invited to play in the London New Year’s Day Parade, and band members are working hard to get the word out about the fundraisers so that they can afford to send all 200 members on the trip.
The Taravella Marching Band isn’t a stranger to traveling to places like London either. They have performed before in Europe where they have visited countries such as Germany, Austria, Italy, Switzerland and France. The band has also performed at the 2005 London New Year’s Day Parade and at the inaugural Parade for President Obama in 2008.
The band is well-known locally and performs every Memorial and Veterans Day and 9/11 Commemoration in Tamarac as well as marches in every Holiday parade in Coral Springs as well. They are very involved in our community and play at all events they are invited to.
Members of the band are working hard to raise money so they do not have to take on the entire cost of the trip themselves, but as they get closer they are realizing how far behind they are and ask that the public knows about the upcoming fundraisers:
- The first one is a Garage Sale on Saturday, September 21 at 100 NW 98th Lane Coral Springs from 8 am-12 noon.
- Also on September 21, there will be a car wash from 8 am to 2 pm at the Mobil station on Shadowood Dr and University Drive in Coral Springs.
- On Wednesday, September 25 they will be having a Dining For Dollars night at Chick Fil-A. Bring a flyer to the restaurant and 15 percent of the proceeds comes back to the band.
- On Saturday, October 19 there are two fundraisers, the first one will be a car wash at the Shadowood Mobil from 8 am-2 pm
- In the evening of October 19 they are hosting a “Sit In” movie where they will have a 30 foot inflatable screen set up at the school. The community is invited to come and watch a movie with the band outside of the high school. There will also be concessions and raffles to buy as well.
- Editor of Talk Media and writer for Coral Springs Talk. CST was created in 2012 to provide News, Views, and Entertainment for the residents of Coral Springs and the rest of South Florida.
- News2020.11.30New Covid-19 Testing Site in Coral Springs Offers 2 Types of Detection
- News2020.11.29Broward County Public Schools Awarded Grants to Broaden Participation in Computer Science
- News2020.11.29Popular ‘Bethlehem Revisited’ Event Canceled Due to Covid-19
- News2020.11.28Chabad of Coral Springs Holds Free Food Distribution December 1