By: Sharon Aron Baron
A community event supporting local nonprofits while introducing participants to mindfulness through yoga and meditation will be held on January 26.
The 4th Annual Yoga For Life Charity Event will raise funds for six organizations including Lifenet4families and Yoga4MSD, Orange Ribbons for Jaime, Change the Ref, Make Our Schools Safe and Safe Schools for Alex which were founded after the mass shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School on February 14, 2018.
Since 2017, Ken and Carrie Wiesenfeld have been organizing this event.
“Our community needs continuous healing, and mindfulness, meditation, and yoga are healthy and natural ways to provide that healing,” said Ken.
The event began as a way to share yoga with a small group of teens who had taken the time to volunteer with the Andy’s Pasta Dinner Junior Chef Program and raise money for Lifenet4families. Last year’s event was held at Temple Beth Orr with about 75 in attendance and raised $25,000.
“This year, we decided to expand the event and its beneficiaries to include organizations that were all created after the events of February 14, 2018, each of which we have a personal connection with.”
Also included will be a musical performance from ShineMSD. The event will also be a donation location for those in need in South Florida. They will be collecting new and gently used shoes for the charity In Jacob’s Shoes and donated clothing and toiletries for the charity The Shirt Off My Back.
Yoga Instructors include Melanie Cordover, Lisa Ponczek, Mary Ann Morgan-Fried and Amy Kenny, founder of Yoga4MSD, and the meditation teacher is Shelly Tygielski.
Participants are asked to wear athletic clothing, bring water and a yoga mat. A limited number of yoga mats will be available at the event.
A $25 donation is recommended for adults to attend the event, children and teens are free.
The Yoga For Life Event will be held Sunday, January 26, 2020, from 4:00 p.m. – 7:00 p.m. at the Coral Springs Gymnasium at 2501 Coral Springs Drive Coral Springs, FL.
- Sharon Aron Baron is the Editor of Talk Media and writer for Coral Springs Talk. CST was created in 2012 to provide News, Views, and Entertainment for the residents of Coral Springs and the rest of South Florida.
- News2020.02.25Official Winners of 3rd Annual ‘Innovate Downtown’ Announced
- Events2020.02.25Annual Relay For Life Wants Participants to Imagine a World Without Cancer
- News2020.02.24Westchester Elementary School Presents their Kindergarten Round-up
- News2020.02.23Coral Springs Coconut Creek Regional Chamber Brings Back the Roaring 20s During Annual Gala