By: Matt Rothman
Four Coral Springs high schools have made remarkable strides in recent cheerleading competitions, with three teams heading to States and one claiming victory at the Sunshine Challenge.
Coral Springs Charter competed in the co-ed division and came in second place to advance straight to the State Final.
“We are a very young team and continuously proving to be competitive in a tough division,” Head Coach Mckenzie Palumbo said. “There’s no ceiling for this team.”
Coral Springs High School finished fourth in the small non-tumbling division and advanced to the State Semifinals.
“We competed in a huge division and are so happy that our hard work has paid off, and we are headed to State Semifinals,” Head Coach Amanda Mortimer said.
Coral Glades also advanced to the State Semifinals and finished fifth in the extra-large non-tumbling division after winning Districts.
“We are so happy we qualified to go to our 13th straight State Cheerleading Competition,” Head Coach Alison Madej said. “We hit the best routine of our season, and we plan on spending the next two weeks applying the comments on our score sheets to our performance on the mat.”
These three teams will compete in States in Lakeland on February 2-3.
J.P. Taravella was not eligible to compete in Regionals, but they competed at Nova Southeastern University in the Sunshine Challenge and placed first in their division. They previously won their first District Championship after competing for the first time in 11 years.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism and then graduated from the University of Florida as a graduate student. He also works for the Mohave Valley Daily News in Bullhead City, Arizona covering high school sports.
- NewsFebruary 22, 20245 Coral Springs Teams Compete in Regionals; Bowlers Compete in BCAA Tournament
- NewsFebruary 18, 2024Coral Glades Football Adds New Offensive Coordinator
- NewsFebruary 18, 2024Coral Springs Athletes Shine in Wrestling Tournaments and Lacrosse Matches
- NewsFebruary 15, 2024Former Coral Springs Charter Pitcher Brianna Godfrey Nearly Perfect in Debut With Maryland