By: Matt Rothman
With the playoffs potentially on the line Friday night, the Coral Glades football team earned a vital district win over Cypress Bay High School 42-6.
The win for the Jaguars gives them five on the season, which matches Cypress Bay. More importantly, it puts them in sole possession of the second place in District 14 8A. Coral Glades came into the game as the eighth seed.
Head Coach Cam Thomas was highly pleased with his team’s performance after challenging his team to have better discipline after their last game against West Broward High School, non-October 15.
“A lot of people counted us out,” said Coach Thomas. “They counted us out earlier in the season when they made predictions on the Districts. I had this game marked down on the calendar for us.”
After turning the ball over on their first drive, Kyle Nelson opened the scoring with a four-yard touchdown run to make it 7-0. Corey Tate recorded an interception on the next possession, and Dylan Knaebel threw a perfect 23-yard pass to Joshua Pena to double the lead.
In the second quarter, the defense would get in on the scoring with JoJo Rispoli picking off a pass and returning it for a touchdown to extend the lead to 21, and the Jaguars ended the half up 36-0 after both Nelson and Rispoli each scored again.
In the second half, with a running clock, Coral Glades added another score from Pena on a 50-yard pass from Knaebel before allowing their first points of the game in the final quarter. The Jaguars victory gave them their best start in school history.
Up next, Coral Glades will face Coral Springs Charter on Friday, October 29 at 7 p.m. The Panthers are 5-2-1 this year and are coming off a tie against Somerset Academy Friday night.
Send Your News to Coral Springs #1 Award-Winning News Site Here.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism and then graduated from the University of Florida as a graduate student. He also works for the Mohave Valley Daily News in Bullhead City, Arizona covering high school sports.
- NewsMarch 1, 20244 Local High School Baseball Teams Compete in BCAA Tournament
- NewsMarch 1, 2024Rivalry Matchups Highlight Eventful Week of Athletics in Coral Springs
- NewsFebruary 22, 20245 Coral Springs Teams Compete in Regionals; Bowlers Compete in BCAA Tournament
- NewsFebruary 18, 2024Coral Glades Football Adds New Offensive Coordinator