By Jill Fox
A Coral Springs student was one of more than 4,000 applicants to receive a prestigious $10,000 college scholarship.
Scholars were selected based on demonstrated academic excellence, leadership potential, social commitment, and financial need. In addition to his academic success, Wallen is the president of the debate team and the vice president of the key club at Coral Glades and will graduate on June 18.
Born in Miami, Wallen, 18, moved to Coral Springs when he was eight-years-old. His mother, Monique Lynch, is a teacher at Sawgrass Elementary, and his older sister, Madison, attends Broward College.
Wallen said, he is not really enjoying distance learning, but understands it’s what has to be done.
Although the semi-finalists for the scholarship program typically travel to Washington, D.C., for in-person interviews, this year, that was not an option. Due to COVID-19, 2020, applicants met with members of the alumni and other program volunteers over Zoom.
Wallen said he was disappointed and definitely feels like he’s missing out on other traditional senior year events, but knowing some people have it much worse puts things into perspective.
He will attend Emory University in the fall to study political science and history. At present, Wallen is planning a career in law or political advocacy.
Send your news to Coral Springs Talk.
- Jill Fox is an Emmy Award-winning writer and producer. She has worked on the public relations side as well as the television side of marketing for NBC Universal. A true Floridian, Fox grew up in Ormond Beach and earned her Bachelor’s Degree in Economics and Advertising from the University of Miami. During college, Fox enjoyed working at Walt Disney World. She loves living in Parkland with her husband, Brian and their two children, Madden, 10 and Randi, 7.
- News2020.11.22NutriFlo IV Lounge and Med Spa Brings IV Vitamin Therapy to Coral Springs
- News2020.11.19Basser’s Holds Special Tastings to Help ‘Wine Down’ Over the Holidays
- News2020.11.17Coral Springs Pest Control Company Appears on ‘Designing Spaces’
- News2020.11.17Free COVID-19 Testing Available at These Locations