By: Matt Rothman
The Coral Springs Charter bowling team pulled off an incredible first-place victory in the first-ever Tri-County Bowling competition.
The Panthers were among 24 teams that competed in this tournament as a substitute for the state competition this year. It started with all teams bowling individually, and the Panthers had one of the top four scores in the tournament to move on to the Baker competition, where five players from each school bowled together for a game. Coral Springs Charter won all three of their matches and was crowned the champions.
For Head Coach Andy Groothius, this is one of the most special group of players he has ever had.
He said all the teams overcame so many different obstacles to get to where they are, and it’s been an honor to accompany the students on their journey to this incredible moment.
“Coach Charlie Fine and myself learned so much more from these wonderful kids than they could ever learn from us.”
CSC has had a solid year but was never able to beat Coral Springs High School. The Colts had won both meetings during the regular season and also defeated them in counties.
They defeated the Colts 3-1 in the best of five in the opening round in a double-elimination format. That set them up a matchup with Park Vista Community High School. The Panthers once again pulled off a win and advanced into the finals, where they met CSHS once again.
The Colts would have needed to beat CSC twice in the finals, and despite winning the opening two games, including one in a bowl-off after the two teams tied after ten frames, the Panthers won the final three games to win the tournament.
Send Your News to Coral Springs #1 News Site Here.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism. Originally from Long Island, he moved to Parkland shortly after high school. Along with Parkland Talk, Matt is the lone contributing writer for the New York Islanders with The Hockey Writers. He worked as the Assistant Sports Editor for his school paper, Eagle News.
- News2021.01.24Coral Glades High School Cheerleading Team Earn 3rd In States
- News2021.01.22Coral Springs Charter Cheerleading Finish 2nd in States
- News2021.01.16Coral Glades Cheerleading Advance to State Finals For 10th Straight Year
- News2021.01.16Coral Springs High School Cheerleading Team Advance to State Finals