By: Matt Rothman
The Coral Springs Charter bowling team pulled off an incredible first-place victory in the first-ever Tri-County Bowling competition.
The Panthers were among 24 teams that competed in this tournament as a substitute for the state competition this year. It started with all teams bowling individually, and the Panthers had one of the top four scores in the tournament to move on to the Baker competition, where five players from each school bowled together for a game. Coral Springs Charter won all three of their matches and was crowned the champions.
For Head Coach Andy Groothius, this is one of the most special group of players he has ever had.
He said all the teams overcame so many different obstacles to get to where they are, and it’s been an honor to accompany the students on their journey to this incredible moment.
“Coach Charlie Fine and myself learned so much more from these wonderful kids than they could ever learn from us.”
CSC has had a solid year but was never able to beat Coral Springs High School. The Colts had won both meetings during the regular season and also defeated them in counties.
They defeated the Colts 3-1 in the best of five in the opening round in a double-elimination format. That set them up a matchup with Park Vista Community High School. The Panthers once again pulled off a win and advanced into the finals, where they met CSHS once again.
The Colts would have needed to beat CSC twice in the finals, and despite winning the opening two games, including one in a bowl-off after the two teams tied after ten frames, the Panthers won the final three games to win the tournament.
Send Your News to Coral Springs #1 News Site Here.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism. He is now attending the University of Florida as a graduate student.
- News2022.05.1812 Coral Glades Student-Athletes Officially Sign to Play in College
- News2022.05.18Stephanie Basso’s 3 Home Run Game Leads CSC Softball to Regional Final
- News2022.05.17Kate Maston’s Transition from Baseball to Softball Pays off for Coral Springs Charter
- News2022.05.167 Coral Springs Athletes Reach Podium in Track and Field State Championship