By: Matt Rothman
Coral Springs High School responded with a crucial 1-0 win over West Broward High School on Friday night after losing to Marjory Stoneman Douglas two nights before.
The win gave the Colts their fifth victory of the season in 12 games, as Cyrus Latimore scored the lone goal for his tenth goal of the season. It came on an assist from Courtney Lewis in the first half.
Goaltender Juan Guevara was perfect in net and recorded the shutout. For him, it was his only his fifth game as he got the start over Nicholas Conti. However, Conti has played well in his 12 games, allowing just over a goal per game.
This season, Coral Springs had one of their largest number of wins of the season in the opening game against Nova High School before their eight-goal performance against Piper High School on January 13.
In the game against Nova, the Colts scored three second-half goals with Latimore completing the hat-trick in the win with Conti making seven saves for the shutout.
One of their most impressive wins this season came against Cypress Bay High School. It was their only loss this season in 14 games with both Latimore and Yago Ortiz scoring the goals in a 2-1 win. Ortiz is currently second on the team with three goals.
Six other players for Coral Springs have scored a goal, including Kevar Thomas and Steven Burgos, who have each scored twice. The Colts have also defeated Western High School and have settled for two draws this season against South Broward and St. Thomas Aquinas High School after winning a District Title in 2019.
Up next, they will play their second to last game of the regular season against Coral Glades High School, who is coming off two big wins last week, including their 7-0 win over Boyd Anderson High School. The game will take place at Coral Springs High School on Tuesday, January 21, before they finish the regular season off on January 23 at Pompano Beach High School.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism and then graduated from the University of Florida as a graduate student. He also works for the Mohave Valley Daily News in Bullhead City, Arizona covering high school sports.
- NewsMarch 1, 20244 Local High School Baseball Teams Compete in BCAA Tournament
- NewsMarch 1, 2024Rivalry Matchups Highlight Eventful Week of Athletics in Coral Springs
- NewsFebruary 22, 20245 Coral Springs Teams Compete in Regionals; Bowlers Compete in BCAA Tournament
- NewsFebruary 18, 2024Coral Glades Football Adds New Offensive Coordinator