By: Matt Rothman
Coral Springs High School responded with a crucial 1-0 win over West Broward High School on Friday night after losing to Marjory Stoneman Douglas two nights before.
The win gave the Colts their fifth victory of the season in 12 games, as Cyrus Latimore scored the lone goal for his tenth goal of the season. It came on an assist from Courtney Lewis in the first half.
Goaltender Juan Guevara was perfect in net and recorded the shutout. For him, it was his only his fifth game as he got the start over Nicholas Conti. However, Conti has played well in his 12 games, allowing just over a goal per game.
This season, Coral Springs had one of their largest number of wins of the season in the opening game against Nova High School before their eight-goal performance against Piper High School on January 13.
In the game against Nova, the Colts scored three second-half goals with Latimore completing the hat-trick in the win with Conti making seven saves for the shutout.
One of their most impressive wins this season came against Cypress Bay High School. It was their only loss this season in 14 games with both Latimore and Yago Ortiz scoring the goals in a 2-1 win. Ortiz is currently second on the team with three goals.
Six other players for Coral Springs have scored a goal, including Kevar Thomas and Steven Burgos, who have each scored twice. The Colts have also defeated Western High School and have settled for two draws this season against South Broward and St. Thomas Aquinas High School after winning a District Title in 2019.
Up next, they will play their second to last game of the regular season against Coral Glades High School, who is coming off two big wins last week, including their 7-0 win over Boyd Anderson High School. The game will take place at Coral Springs High School on Tuesday, January 21, before they finish the regular season off on January 23 at Pompano Beach High School.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism. Originally from Long Island, he moved to Parkland shortly after high school. Along with Parkland Talk, Matt is the lone contributing writer for the New York Islanders with The Hockey Writers. He worked as the Assistant Sports Editor for his school paper, Eagle News.
- News2021.01.16Coral Glades Cheerleading Advance to State Finals For 10th Straight Year
- News2021.01.16Coral Springs High School Cheerleading Team Advance to State Finals
- News2021.01.16Coral Springs Charter Cheerleading Win Regionals
- News2021.01.14Marjory Stoneman Douglas Defensive End Nick Dobbs Commits to College