By: Jen Russon
Next Stop Broadway’s teen theatre project promises to be a bloody good time, with two one-night performances of Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street on April 16.
A musical thriller set in Victorian England, the two-act play features songs like ‘Worst Pies in London’ and ballads by deranged protagonists, Sweeny Todd and Mrs. Lovett, both bent on destruction and revenge.
Stephen Sondheim’s theatrical adaption of the 1973 book by Christopher Bond has invited many re-makes on the silver screen, notably the 2007 film starring Johnny Depp as the murderous barber.
Next Stop Broadway casts a pair of actors reminiscent of that classic Tim Burton movie, with macabre and intensely brooding performances by David Prengler and Hayden Redshaw, students at Marjory Stoneman Douglas.
Hayden Redshaw is Mrs. Nellie Lovett, helping her razor-wielding accomplice, Sweeney Todd, send unsuspecting victims down a chute, straight into her pie shop.
The large cast — over twenty actors — is directed by Cynthia O’Brien and musical director Sophia Beharrie, with steampunk costumes on display that will have audiences singing along with ‘There’s No Place Like London.’
“Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street” serves up the best meat pies of 1846 but cost two bits, plus a shave and a haircut. Find out if that’s a good deal by booking your tickets online.
The matinee and evening performances are set for Saturday, April 16, at 2 p.m. and 6:30 p.m. at the Coral Springs Center for the Arts, located at 2855 Coral Springs Drive.
Send Your News to Coral Springs #1 Award-Winning News Site Here.
- Jen Russon has been a staff writer for Talk Media since 2018. She is also a novelist, copywriter and editor at Swallow Publishing, LLC.
- News2022.04.27First Presbyterian Church Welcomes 5th Senior Pastor, Dr. David Barry
- News2022.04.26Coral Springs Charter Baseball Player Knocks Another One Out of the Park with ‘Promposal’
- Events2022.04.26Mother’s Day ‘Sip and Stroll’ Comes to Coral Springs May 1
- Events2022.04.21Coral Springs Improvement District Offering Food and Fun at Open House, April 30