By: Matt Rothman
After a historic season in 2021, where the Coral Springs Charter baseball team reached the Regional Semifinals, the Panthers are back in action, picking up their first win of the season against Calvary Christian Academy on Wednesday.
Trailing 4-3 in the bottom of the seventh, Anthony Giglio hit a walk-off two-run double to give the Panthers a 5-4 win after the Calvary Christian beat CSC in the District Final last season.
“We came out ready for them and just competed,” said Giglio. “I went up there, and they were attacking fastballs the whole game, so I was looking for it, and when I got it, I didn’t hesitate.”
After his fantastic season last year, A.J. Prendergast took the mound for the Panthers. The Panthers’ offense got off to a hot start with three first-inning runs. Gavin Gargiulo knocked in the first run of the game on an RBI double before Jeovani Hernandez brought one in with a ground out. Anthony Fiore capped off the inning with his first of three hits to make it 3-0.
That lead would not last after Calvary Christian capitalized on a few miscues from the Panthers. They scored a pair of runs in the fourth and the fifth to take the lead. Still, Prendergast struck out six to keep the Panthers alive for their walk-off victory.
Both Hernandez and Fiore reached base before Giglio recorded the game-winning hit in the bottom of the seventh. Robert Boing picked up the victory after striking out four in 2.1 innings.
“Just a gutsy effort from our guys to pick up a great team win,” said Head Coach Charlie Fine. “This was such a good test for us to start the season against one of the top teams in our District. Coach Rosenthal has a special group over there.”
This was also the first game the Panthers got to play on their renovated field. Justin Ellis, Administrator at the City of Coral Springs, threw out the ceremonial first pitch. Next, CSC will be in action on Friday, February 25th, against Somerset Academy Canyons at 6:30 p.m.
Send to Coral Springs #1 Award-Winning News Site Here.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism and then graduated from the University of Florida as a graduate student. He also works for the Mohave Valley Daily News in Bullhead City, Arizona covering high school sports.
- NewsMarch 1, 20244 Local High School Baseball Teams Compete in BCAA Tournament
- NewsMarch 1, 2024Rivalry Matchups Highlight Eventful Week of Athletics in Coral Springs
- NewsFebruary 22, 20245 Coral Springs Teams Compete in Regionals; Bowlers Compete in BCAA Tournament
- NewsFebruary 18, 2024Coral Glades Football Adds New Offensive Coordinator