By: Matt Rothman
The J.P. Taravella baseball team kicked off their season with a dominating 11-1 win against University School at Nova Southeastern to move to 1-0 on the season.
The game ended after five innings with JPT up by ten runs and was highlighted by a three-hit performance from Edgar Martinez. He drove in five runs including his first home run of the season.
Adam Montesino drove in two runs as well with two hits. Stefano Libio, Tony Sanders and Mike Sinclair drove in the other runs in the win
On the mound, Chris Scinta earned the win after throwing 3.2 innings allowing no earned runs. Montesino finished the game earning the final four outs.
“It is always nice to start the season in the win column,” said Head Coach Joseph Giummule. “The boys worked hard, and we had a great trip down to Key West over the weekend to help prepare us for the season.
While it was their first regular-season game of the season, JPT split against Key West in the Preseason Classic. The Trojans are coming off a season where they won 14 games and have not won less than ten games in each of the past six seasons.
Up next, they will continue their four-game road trip to start the season with a matchup against South Broward High School on Wednesday, February 19 at 6:30 p.m.
JPT will not have their home opener until March 3 when they take on Monarch High School at 6:30 p.m.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism. Originally from Long Island, he moved to Parkland shortly after high school. Along with Parkland Talk, Matt is the lone contributing writer for the New York Islanders with The Hockey Writers. He worked as the Assistant Sports Editor for his school paper, Eagle News.
- News2020.11.255 Taravella High School Bowlers Roll a Successful Season
- News2020.11.24Coral Springs Charter Bowling Has Another Terrific Season
- News2020.11.24Coral Springs High School Bowling Among Best in State
- News2020.11.24Weinstein and Edrich Lead Tight Group of Bowlers at Coral Glades High School