By: Matt Rothman
The J.P. Taravella football team earned their third win of the season in a strong performance on the road against Nova High School. The Trojans scored eight touchdowns and won 56-26 to move a game closer to .500 at 3-4 and remain 1-1 in districts.
“Our team performance was very good,” said head coach Charles Hafley Jr. “We still made some week one mistakes, but we showed some improvements and finished on a great note.”
JPT started the game out strong with a takeaway on Nova’s first possession from Andre Mills with an interception, and quarterback David Kosilla and wide receiver Reggie Wallace took advantage. They connected on two touchdowns with the second one going for 60 yards to give the Trojans a 14-0 lead.
Nova, who has yet to win a game this year, got right back into the game with two touchdowns but missed out on both the point after and the two-point conversion keeping JPT in the lead by two.
Shortly after, Michael Brown scored from 20 yards out to take on the lead. Despite Nova once again scoring and failing the two-point conversion, the Trojans took off scoring the next two touchdowns with quarterback Dylan Garcia coming into the game and throwing them all. His first one went to Michael Vicinanza and then threw two more to Wallace for 30 yards and then 77 yards.
“The third touchdown was a simple out route and I was able to break a tackle,” Wallace said. “The final touchdown I was able to catch a deep ball and outrun two defenders.
JPT finished their historic night with their fourth interception, as Yehoshua Covin had an interception earlier and then Markaedyn Nelson and Sterling Tillman each had a pick-six from 80 and 70 yards respectively.
Up next, the JPT will return home for a matchup with Boyd Anderson Oct. 18 before playing in the Major Cup on Oct. 25 with a meeting on the road against Coral Springs High School.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism. He is now attending the University of Florida as a graduate student.
- News2021.07.21J.P. Taravella’s All-County Outfielder Luis Rodriguez Makes His College Choice
- News2021.07.19Coral Springs Girls Travel Basketball Team Ranks Number 1 in the State
- News2021.07.16Coral Springs Native Caleb Roberts Selected in 5th Round of MLB Draft
- News2021.07.16J.P. Taravella Grad Jack Sinclair Drafted in 16th Round of MLB Draft