By Kevin Deutsch
A man punched a Coral Springs Police officer in his head last week at the scene of a vehicle crash investigation, court records show.
Anthony Banks, 21, of Northwest 114th Lane in Coral Springs, became “irate and belligerent” at the scene of the crash probe in the 11000 block of Lakeview Drive on Feb. 11, according to an arrest affidavit.
Banks, a passenger in a black 2008 Lexus that was involved in a crash, called the driver in the other vehicle a “b—h,” the affidavit states. The Lexus’ driver was arrested for leaving the scene of the accident and resisting without violence—an outcome that left Banks upset, police said.
Banks lingered at the crime scene despite police telling him he was free to leave, police said. He allegedly argued with officers over the Lexus’ keys, saying his house keys were on the same keyring.
He then challenged a police officer to a fight before spitting in his face and chest-bumping him, according to the affidavit.
“[Banks] was immediately directed to the ground where a fight ensued,” police wrote. “[Banks] punched [the officer] in the side of his head with his right fist.”
Banks was eventually handcuffed and placed in a police car after pulling away from officers and refusing their commands, police said.
The officer punched by Banks suffered an injury to his left elbow and was treated at Broward Health Coral Springs, the affidavit states.
Banks suffered minor cuts to his eyebrow and nose and was taken to Broward Health Coral Springs for medical clearance, police said.
He was later booked into the Broward Main Jail on two counts of resisting an officer and one count of battery on an officer, court records show.
He was free Wednesday on a $2,000 bond, the records show.
Send to Coral Springs #1 Award-Winning News Site Here.
- Kevin Deutsch is an award-winning crime journalist and author. A graduate of Florida International University, Kevin has worked on staff at The Miami Herald, New York Daily News, and The Palm Beach Post.
- News2022.05.27EL AL To Open U.S. Headquarters In Margate
- Crime & Safety2022.05.26Coral Springs Man Charged With 2 More Counts of Murder in Crime Spree
- Crime & Safety2022.05.24Man Responsible For Deadly Crime Spree Claimed He Had Bomb, Asked Police to Shoot Him, Records Show
- News2022.05.23Broward County Pandemic Rent Relief Program Expands With New Funding