By: Matt Rothman
For the first time since 2016, the Marjory Stoneman Douglas baseball team will have a chance to play for a State Championship following their 3-2 win over Christopher Columbus High School Friday afternoon.
In a year where MSD won both the District and Regional Championship, they were tested in the State Semifinals. Christian Rodriguez got the start on the mound and was once again sensational as he recorded his ninth win. The Eagles’ 27th victory this season also ties the most they have ever had in school history.
Rodriguez allowed two runs and struck out ten in 5.2 innings before Sam Beir ended the sixth inning by getting Tony Casanova to pop out with two men on. He then retired the side in the seventh to earn the save with a pair of punch-outs.
The Eagles took a 1-0 lead in the second inning as Chris McKenna doubled to left field, scoring Christian Arroyo. Columbus responded with a pair of runs in the home half of the second, though MSD managed to regain the lead in the fourth.
After the first two men reach for the Eagles, Roman Anthony drove in two runs with a double scoring Grant McDonald and McKenna.
‼️‼️WHAT A PLAY‼️‼️@SDEagleBaseball IS GOING TO THE STATE CHAMPIONSHIP. LOOK AT THIS PLAY BY @Chris_McKenna33 ON THE FINAL OUT OF THE SEMI. The 1B is a @GWUBaseball commit. L*G, Eagles!!!!! Represent, baby!!! @FlatgroundApp @FlatgroundBats pic.twitter.com/4QThg5rL7L
— Josh Rudd (@JRudd_Scout) May 21, 2021
Santiago Ordonez and Gavin Conticello had the team’s other two hits as Conticello tripled in the seventh but was left stranded.
Next, MSD will play Spruce Creek High School in the State Championship after winning 1-0 in extra innings in their game on Friday. They come in with a record of 23-8 as first pitch is scheduled for Saturday, May 22 at 4 p.m in Fort Myers.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism. He is now attending the University of Florida as a graduate student.
- News2022.01.21Marjory Stoneman Douglas Star Offensive Lineman Aris Skarecki Makes College Pick
- News2022.01.20Jeremiah Denis Goes 8-0 for Coral Springs High School Wrestling
- News2022.01.16CSC’s Chris Haire Coaches Inaugural Battle at The Beach All-Star Game
- News2022.01.15Coral Springs Charter’s Dalton Mason Wins the Senior Bowl Tournament