By: Matt Rothman.
The Eagles last won the State Championship in 2016, when they defeated Christoper Columbus High School. MSD had the chance to play Columbus in the State Semifinals and won 3-2 after winning both the District and Regional Championship.
The win for the Eagles was also their 28th of the season, which is the most in school history. Christian Arroyo was on the mound and pitched one of his best games with MSD. Not only did he throw 5.2 innings allowing one run, but he also drove in the team’s first run of the game with a sacrifice fly.
Arroyo then drove in the game-winning run with a single to score Jake Clemente in the sixth. The Eagles then added three huge insurance runs as Rolando Lujo knocked in a run. Right after, Arroyo came around to score on a passed ball, and then Niko Benestad drove in another run to make it 5-1.
Sam Beir ended up the winning pitcher as he recorded an out in the sixth and then three more in the seventh to close the game.
— Perfect Game Florida (@Florida_PG) May 22, 2021
Saturday’s game was also the final one for several seniors in Rolando Lujo, Conticello, Von Smeltzer, Aiden Williams, Chris McKenna, Tyler Novik, Connor Hagen, Aiden Minott, and Kyle Morse as they are going out as State Champions.
Still, the Eagles will return a talented group of players to their team in 2022. MSD has their top four pitchers set to come back as well as six of their nine starting position players.
Send Your News to Coral Springs #1 Award-Winning News Site Here.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism. He is now attending the University of Florida as a graduate student.
- News2021.05.283 Coral Springs Baseball Players 4A State Champions For North Broward Prep
- News2021.05.22CHAMPIONS AGAIN: Marjory Stoneman Douglas Baseball Wins 2nd State Championship in 6 Years
- News2021.05.21BREAKING: Marjory Stoneman Douglas Baseball 1 Win Away From State Championship
- News2021.05.16J.P. Taravella Baseball’s Unforgettable Season Ends in Regional Final