By: Sharon Aron Baron
After years of complaints, residents in parts of Coral Springs will no longer be receiving mail addressed to Pompano Beach.
U.S. Congressman Ted Deutch announced at Wednesday’s commission meeting that two Zip Codes will permanently be changed from saying Pompano Beach to Coral Springs.
“So effective on Monday, the Zip Codes 33065 and 33071 will now default to the City of Coral Springs instead of the City of Pompano Beach.” Deutch said to a round of applause.
According to Mayor Skip Campbell and Commissioner Lou Cimaglia, this was an important issue for the residents.
“We need to have Coral Springs recognized,” said Campbell. “It was our number one issue, and he [Deutch] took care of it.”
Prior to last week, there were twelve Zip Codes that defaulted to Pompano Beach, including four that were partially or entirely inside of Coral Springs.
Boundary reviews were only given by the post office every ten years, but were previously denied, so Campbell and Deutch reached out to the local leadership at the post office as well as legislative affairs to convince them that the change should be permissible.
“The fact is, the people of the City of Coral Springs deserve this,” said Deutch. “With all these addresses standardized for accuracy, Coral Springs will hopefully receive even better delivery, and more importantly, it’s a long-standing issue that’s been resolved.”
For those that don’t live in those two Zip Codes, Deutch said there will be another review soon.
“We’re looking for another way that we can approach those two that have overlapping Zip Codes, where we’re able to reach the same result.”
There is also an added benefit to having the name change said Campbell. “It does affect insurance rates. It does affect a lot of things in our lives because if we are connected with Pompano Beach we were told we would have higher insurance rates because we were next to the water. So this should help us tremendously as a city.”
- Editor of Talk Media and writer for Coral Springs Talk. CST was created in 2012 to provide News, Views, and Entertainment for the residents of Coral Springs and the rest of South Florida.
- News2022.01.25Florida Press Club Awards Talk Media for Online and Community News
- Events2022.01.25Free Concerts Are Back at ‘The Walk’ on Wednesday’s in Coral Springs
- News2022.01.17Celebrating 10 Years: Winner’s Name Drawn for $150 Gift Card Giveaway
- News2022.01.17Free Food Distribution Held on Jan. 19 at Chabad of Coral Springs