By: Matt Rothman
It was another busy week with the local high schools competing in the District Championship in golf and bowling.
Coral Glades began the week, winning a District Championship in golf, while Shannon Glynn also advanced to Regionals for the girls. The Jaguars finished in first place, four shots ahead of Marjory Stoneman Douglas. James Transue and Carter Brooks shot a 73, while Brayden Peeler and Justin Laing shot a 76 and 78, respectively. Shannon Glynn also advanced to regionals for the girls, finishing second individually for girls with a 97.
The Coral Springs Charter boys golf team had four players compete: Troy Sova, Floyd Harris, Axel Foley, and Jordan Herman, while Natalia Conte and Izzy Goodman played for the girls.
In bowling, J.P. Taravella took first place in the District Championship for the boys. They also had the individual winner, Braiden Meyers, who recorded a three-round score of 726. Zachery Kimbrell finished second on the team with 657 total pins, followed by Bryce Collins, Nick Bulzomi, and Jeremy Smith for a team score of 3,152, while the rest of the teams consisted of Rey Maharaj and Chyanne Walker.
“The team bowls with the desire to win, and they practice hard and never give up,” Head Coach Greg Mason said.
The Trojans recently honored both Smith and Kimbrell during their senior night match and have won over 50 matches this season. They also have won the last three City Championships and will play in the State Championship on Oct. 31 – Nov. 2 at Boardwalk Bowl in Orlando.
The Coral Springs High School boys team finished in sixth place, led by Marvin Nixon, who recorded a 279 in his second round and a combined score of 678. Logan Howe finished second on the team, followed by David Goldstein, Joshua Demetrius, and Elijah Hanna for a team score of 2,385.
The girls team knocked down 1,694 pins with Zoey Peypet, Tikalya Pierre, Kirara Hampton, Liana Guillen, and Kaitlyn Cooper, who competed for the girls to place seventh. David Goldstein, Kaitlynn Cooper, and Elijah Hannah were honored as the seniors from CSHS.
Coral Glades had their boys and girls team combined for 3,256 with Jared Dubrow, Tanner Fay, Ethan Schwartz, Miles Robinson IV, and Lane Brainard. Anthony Catalano and Ryan Rivera. They also honored Zazanijian and Christie, with the boys finishing fourth.
Coral Springs Charter finished eighth with Mateo Guzman, Leonel Neita, Shawn Robinson, Hawks Heilberg, and Reef Heilberg. Faith Tucker, Audrey Golf, Cameron Thiele, Danielle Lucas, Gio Gurgel, Audrey Gold, Cameron Thiele, and Danielle Lucas combined for 2044 pins. Their seniors include Lucas, Candio, and Nieto.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism and then graduated from the University of Florida as a graduate student. He also works for the Mohave Valley Daily News in Bullhead City, Arizona covering high school sports.
- NewsDecember 4, 20232 Local Rivals Clash; Basketball, Soccer and Wrestling Season Underway
- NewsDecember 1, 2023Coral Glades Basketball and Soccer Teams Face Mixed Fortunes in Recent Matchups
- NewsNovember 26, 2023High School Basketball in Coral Springs Tips-Off on Black Friday
- NewsNovember 25, 2023Carter Brooks of Coral Glades Named PGA South Florida Player of the Year