By: Matt Rothman
The Original Florida Pokers continue to shine with their past and current players.
Coral Springs residents Caleb Roberts and Jack Sinclair reunited in the Arizona Fall League and faced off for the first of many times this year. Roberts calls it exciting to play with a friend he has known since he was nine.
“Both of us grew up in Coral Springs, and I think it goes to show how living in South Florida and competing against the competition around there helped prepare us to get us where we are today,” Roberts said.
A graduate of St. Thomas Aquinas High School, Roberts finished up his minor league season playing with the Double-A with the Amarillo Sod Poodles in the Arizona Diamondbacks organization. A former fifth-round pick, Roberts shined this year in Double-A, hit 17 home runs and drove in 66 RBIs. He also batted .278, with a .905 OPS, and stole 11 bases.
Sinclair was selected in the 16th round of the 2021 MLB draft by the Washington Nationals and debuted in Triple-A this season with Rochester Red Wings. In his minor league career, he is 11 9 with an era of 3.79 after pitching three years in high school with J.P. Taravella.
“It’s always very fun when you get to face off against one of your teammates growing up,” Sinclair said. “I think it is very cool to see the different paths we took and how we end up playing against each other almost seven years after we last played on the pokers together.”
“These are times that you’ll never forget and hopefully we get the chance to square off in the big leagues sometime soon,”
Also, Original Florida Poker Payton Miller is officially committed to playing at Adrian College in Michigan. Playing with the 2024 team, Miller has helped the Pokers to a terrific summer, capped off a run to the semifinals in their last tournament.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism and then graduated from the University of Florida as a graduate student. He also works for the Mohave Valley Daily News in Bullhead City, Arizona covering high school sports.
- NewsDecember 4, 20232 Local Rivals Clash; Basketball, Soccer and Wrestling Season Underway
- NewsDecember 1, 2023Coral Glades Basketball and Soccer Teams Face Mixed Fortunes in Recent Matchups
- NewsNovember 26, 2023High School Basketball in Coral Springs Tips-Off on Black Friday
- NewsNovember 25, 2023Carter Brooks of Coral Glades Named PGA South Florida Player of the Year